Hi. I have a liver disease caused by protozoa and my doctor gave me plaquenil. I`m 3 months pregnant and told him so, but he told me to take Plaquenil only once a week and that will not harm my baby. Not sure should I go for the second opinion. Anybody with experience on Plaquenil?

Hi. Plaquenil is used to treat malaria and a liver disease caused by protozoa . It is also used by persons with arthritis to help relieve inflammation, swelling and joint pain. Use of Plaquenil is not recommended during pregnancy, unless you have malaria or a liver disease caused by protozoa, which you have. Hydroxychloroquine will cause damage to the fetus brain, hearing and sense of balance and eye problems. But, when Plaquenil is given in small doses, such as once a week, the med hasn`t been shown to cause birth defects. I think I would go for a second opinion.