Is there anybody who can tell me more about the drug called Plaquil. I am not sure about the spelling. It is supposedly designed to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis. Is there anybody with some more info?

Plaquenil ( as it is spelled ) is actually anti-malarial drug that is also helpful for rheumatic diseases such as Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. The use of anti-malarials for rheumatic diseases began in 1890, when European doctors who prescribed quinine for malaria noticed a positive effect in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). In the 1960’s Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) was introduced, and it has been shown to have less potential than chloroquine to cause retinal toxicity. However, eye problems with reported in the past with theuse of these drugs. Because of this, appropriate monitoring of the eye by a medical eye specialist familiar with anti-malarial side-effects is being conducted. It is not completely understood how anti-malarials work for arthritic diseases but it is thought that they may act to disrupt the autoimmune reaction which mistakenly targets the cells, tissues, and organs of a person's own body. Compared to other disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), Hydroxychloroquine does not create significant liver toxicity and doesn't require frequent blood monitoring. Plaquenil is often combined with other DMARD drugs like Methotrexate to increase its effectiveness.
It took nearly a year for plaquenil to start working on me but I had no side effects. I can see the difference just now after so many months of undiscontinued consumption. I still get Lupus flares sometimes but it is much better than it was before.