Hi, my Dad was diagnosed with polio 10 years ago and recently he died. Nobody thought that he will live that long but he did it. He was in the wheelchair, but he lived a normal life, taking an extra care of his fragile condition. Finally, the illness got him. It wasn`t the polio that killed him, but post polio affliction. Many years after recovirng from polio his muscles started to go weak again, and, at the end, muscle atrophy took its place. He was in pains (caused by joint degeneration and skeletal deformities) and I guess he`s in a better place now. I just wanted to say to all the elders with polio that they can still live for a long time.

Hi. Recently I was diagnosed with post polio affliction, and I`m 60 years old. I also use wheelchair, like your father did, most of the time. But I`m not giving up. I have children and grandchildren and they are much of a help. I`m protecting my arms and avoiding falls, and that is harder than it sounds. You should know that. There is no effective pharmaceutical or other treatment for the PPS. However, non-fatiguing exercises can improve muscle strength. But, I`m swimming, as proscribed, always monitored by professionals. I guess this post polio will kill me eventually, but, hey, we all have to die someday.