Hi, my 4 years old boy was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. I`ve learned that muscular dystrophy is a genetic disorder that weakens the muscles until they stop working. There is nobody to blame for his disease, it`s not contagious or something. And no point in blaming anyone at all. I just wanna know is there some comfort for him? Anybody know what is the life expectancy for persons with DMD?

Hi, had a similar case with my relative (he never lived to become an adult). He had Becker muscular dystrophy, which is very similar to DMS, only the symptoms start later. Know something about DMD, it`s the most common type of muscle dystrophy (the doctors will always tell you that line). By age 10-12 your kid will probably need a wheelchair. The heart is also in danger, and his lungs. Kids with DMD can also develop scoliosis. Sorry to tell you that people with DMD usually don`t live long enough to become teens or early adults. But, the life expectancy depends on the degree of muscle weakness and the condition of heart and lungs.

hi i have dmd and i am 21 a i use a wheelchair. I finished school and i am in my third year of college. people with dmd could live to their twenties and some last till their in their thirties it all depends on the person. But dont worry about that now. the best advice i can give you is take it one day at a time that is what my parents have done. and it is hard sometimes but you can make it. Put your trust in God, God can heal and one day i will walk again. be taking him to the doctor get theraphy he is young it will slow it down and help him. inform yourself about medicad for him that helps with going to the doctor and theraphy. take it one day at a time you will make it and he will make it. there is a lot of research being done right now on working on a cure and it is going good they are advancing.

feel free to ask me anything i am not an expert but i am a person with dmd and i will try to help. ********

God bless

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

I have a freind with DMD and he is 37. He is wheel chair bound and needs around the clock suctioning for his trach. He also has adaptive equipment that allows him to use his computer. he is a pretty fast typist for someone who cant use his hands! It all really depends on the person, but usually around 20 years

i have a cousin who is 20 years old with this disease, he's not expected to make it another year. I'm sorry for everyone who has to live with this disease and all i can say is , life's what you make it. So , live it up . Live a happy life (:

My brother had DMD and he lived to be 26. I know 2 other guys with DMD. My brothers best friend, who lived to be 28, and a classmate of mine that I seen today on Facebook and who is 37. My parents tried to never treat my brother any different than they did me. He stopped walking when he was 11 and was in a motorized wheelchair at 14. He had just gotten a trache when he passed away in 1996 and had just been put on a respirator or ventilator. For being in a wheelchair, he led a pretty good life, was always happy and had a great outlook on life. Yes, his life was physically painfull, progressively so. But he found joy in the simpiest things and enjoyed his life. Never put limitations on your son, treat him the same as any other child, encourage him to do everything he can for himself because it will make him stronger and less dependent and more able to do for himself for longer. Look into the Muscular Dystrophy Association. They are a wonderful network of people for support, friendship, information, and everything else you need on this difficult journey. From holiday gatherings to summer camp, they organize a lot of fun things he will be able to participate in. For yourself, I would go to a genetic counselor. DMD is a X chromosome linked disease which means generally only males are affected, but females are carriers. And sometimes females can manifest milder symptoms of the disease. If you are a carrier, all of your future children are at risk for inheriting the disease though a daughter could be a carrier and a son could have the disease. Since as a female you have 2 x chromosomes, you have a 50% chance of passing on the DMD x to all future children. However there are tests that can be done in pregnancy to determine that. For your son, to comfort him, treat him as any other child. Of course there are things that he will need your help with and things he will no longer be able to do as the disease progresses. But help him live the life he has to its fullest.

My brother is 26. When he was diagnosed, they said 12. He had no dystrophen, so it was a bad case....and now he is 26. He uses an electric chair. Not sure how much longer. At 4, yours can probably still walk. Enjoy every minute. Get him involved in sledge hockey or special needs baseball, therapy, anything you can. Most of all, never take a day for granted.

The link above is to Surviving Duchenne support group created for facebook users. The man who created it is 42 years old and living with Duchenne. Maybe there would be some helpful information there for all of you coping with this in some way.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

My drother has Duchenne MD and is going to be 45 next month, he has been through some difficult times but its all about your will to live and enjoy life. Good Luck to you all!!

hey there my husband is turning 26 in July he is on heart medication and a breathing machine of a night time. he has regular check up every 4-6 months. But it like what the other people say its about the will to live. We have been married for nearly 5 years and is healthier than he has ever been.

It all go bye the will to live take it one day at a time im 18 and in a electric power chair its some times a struggle if dont succeed try try again but all in all its a good life

Hi. My uncle died today, and I wanted to know if anyone knew the oldest age of someone with Duchenne's... that is how I came here. It runs in my family, the females carry it, and I've had three uncles with it, and one without, all the same family. One uncle died at 15, in the night, from complications breathing. The other accidentally drowned at 33, unable to turn himself over in less than a foot of water. The other lived in an iron lung until today, and passed at 53 years of age, in his sleep. Flu-like symptoms. It seems that it widely varies, but I can tell you that life expectancy matters much less than life quality. It is a hard thing to face, but there have been many advancements since the 50s when my uncles were born. I applaud you for being so stoic, and if you have any questions, you can contact me.

My son is 22 years old and was diagnosed at 6 months of ae ( the youngest child to be diagnosed in alberta ) he has had his struggles and challenges a long the way. The one piece of advice l can give you
is to take one day at a time. always try and be positive for him and never let him give up hope, hope to one day find a cure. My son has graduated from university with a degree in broadcasting and has made so many wonderful friends along the way. When you asked about the life expectancy every one is diffrent no one knows how long we have always make each and every day count. good luck to yoiu

Hi, my name is Joe. I was biopsied anddiagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy at 7 yrs of age and as of May 8th 2012 I am 54. To the best of my research I'm the oldest on record. NEVER give up or give in; just give it over to God.

My son has DMD and he is 19 years old and graduated from high school 3 weeks ago. Don't let people tell you he don't have alot of time it is up to him how long he has. It is the will to live that keeps them going. Keep you head up and do alot of praying it does help.l