I am now 34 and have been recently diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy type IV
-what do I do? The fact is that I always felt some muscles weakness especially regarding my legs and I never was no sport type but it is not like I haven't liked running or swimming it is just that I never have no energy or precisely strength for doing these activities. And it was all about for my spinal muscular atrophy that I was diagnosed two months ago but what frightens me the most is the fact that my wife is now 6 months pregnant and as much as I understood the spinal muscular atrophy is inherited-what do I do?, I mean could my child inherit now this spinal muscular atrophy? Thanks!

Hello! I know something about spinal muscular atrophy for my mom is SMA carrier –that means she is carrier of the abnormal gene but it is needed that both of parents are affected with this disease so only than the child is in risk also in getting spinal muscular atrophy. Anyway spinal muscular atrophy is motor neuron disease as well as genetic disease and is caused by the lack of the specific protein whose absence causes the dead or atrophy of nerve cells in the spinal cord. There are also some other types of spinal muscular atrophy and you are basically lucky to be diagnosed with its easiest form but you may also expect to use the wheelchair in the days to come. Anyway spinal muscular atrophy is very progressive and it affects the legs, arms and shoulder muscles at first place but also the spinal deformities. And as for your unborn child I advice your wife to have some blood test just to make sure if she is spinal muscular atrophy abnormal gene carrier for only in that case your child would be in great risk of getting the disease but the chances for something like that are very small usually.

If your wife does have the gene the chance is 50% of the child inheriting the condition.
This is truthful information as I also have this condition only I have Type 3 and have done some research on this situation for future reference.