Hi, my friend is suffering from post polio affliction. His treatment includes exercising, but he`s not able to take a part in aerobic training (some forms of it), but he does yoga and gentle stretching. He has a problem with breathing and every year takes a flu shot and pneumococcal vaccine, to prevent pneumonia. Is there anything that could help him with his pains?

Hi, have some experience with PPS (I was nourishing my grandma). Exercises are good for some patients with PPS, but not for the one too weak and fatigued. Exercise program is designad by physical therapists or physicians and that program can really help him improve muscle functioning. Fatigue is best treated with regular rests and naps. Physical therapy, a life-style change, moist heat, ice and massage can ease pain. The March of Dimes is also there, with informations to PPS patients and support for research project looking for improved treatments for persons with PPS.

I have post polio and find I stay pretty even but I do go to a pool with wellness 1 for exercises. However I am wear a float belt and go in wheelchair through the water and I stand up in the corner. Then I can do exercises. Before I started this I had no exercises in over ten years as I was told "no exercises" Then a new specialist took a new look at me and told me go to this wellness 1 class. At first my muscles were in alarm and were hurting me so much and I knew right away that is wrong. So I went to my doctor and she told me to go to the physical Therapist. Fortunately for me she had studied some on post polio so knew what I was talking about how everything was wrong for me. So she made arrangements for the Kinseiologist person who would show me in the pool what I can do and what not to do.

So I am doing those four exercises and I lost 12 pounds in two months. Everything has settled down and do no exercises with my legs and just 100% with my right side and about 70% of my left and I recover within a day. I do more than I should and I do not reover for four days.

I was in an accident in 1998 and crushed a vertebrae at L1 At that time I was in the hospital for 9 days but no doctor did anything about the crushed vertebrae. Now it is moving and hitting my spinal chord. If I have another episode where my legs are numb or feel nothing or too much pain in my spine I am to go the hospital and hopefully they will admit me forcing the bone specialist to find out what they will do to correct this. I also have wedging of vertebraes and bulging of discs.

Is anyone else having trouble like this.