Hi. I had some flu-like symptoms, fever, sore throat and diarrhea, but after seeing a doctor, I was diagnosed with polio, a mild form called abortive polio, that is. I know it`s a viral illness, meaning highly contagious. What can I do to prevent spreading of the disease in my family? Does anybody know how long will this polio last? Besides, doc told me to rest and take a lot of fluids. I`ve expected some other, not flu-like treatment. Did he made a mistake, telling me I have polio, and then proscribing a flu treatment? Anybody with polio?

You are lucky. My sister has polio, not the mild form like yours but a severe, debilitating form called paralytic polio – and that is a mean disease, can result in death(my sister is still alive). Asymptomatic and mild cases of abortive polio with no neurological symptoms can be treated like the flu, I guess. At least they used to. People with abortive polio usually make a full recovery. Polio is transmitted through the ingestion of something contaminated with the virus found in stool. No need to tell you to wash your hands after using the bathroom? You should take your children (if you got any and if they are 2 months-6 years old) to take a dose (4 doses that is) of inactivated polio vaccination.