I have a friend who is diagnosed with myositis. He explained to me that myositis is a rare disease, in which the immune system, chronically inflames the body's own healthy muscle tissue. Unfortunately I found out no one knows what triggers the immune system's attack. All this made me interested into this disease so I would like to learn more. Could you tell me what is appropriate therapy for myositis?

I see you would like to hear more about case with myositis, so I am going to explain you few things. You have to know that persistent inflammation progressively weakens the muscles, and myositis can take several forms. It usually develops slowly over time and can range in severity from mild to debilitating or worse. Both children and adults can get it, with symptoms of weakness and pain in the muscles of the hips and shoulders. This is often a first sign of myositis, as well as difficulty getting up from a chair. Myositis can affect the muscles in the front of the neck and throat, making it hard to speak or swallow for most of the patients. Unfortunately, there is no cure for myositis, but prompt and aggressive treatment to reduce inflammation can help prevent muscle weakness from progressing. Medications such as corticosteroids and other drugs that suppress the immune system may slow down the attack on healthy tissue and improve skin rash and are the best therapy for myositis. Doctor will probably repeat blood tests throughout treatment for myositis to monitor his patient’s improvement. Exercise could also help, especially after drug treatment.