Sorry if this sounds a little confused and rambly, but I have just been diagnosed with polymyositis and I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed. I am scared, and not only of polymyositis but also because I have heard that polymyositis is related to cancer in some way. I know that I have nearly no hope of remission, but if the medication works well, I really hope I won’t be too severely affected by polymyositis. Can you tell me more?

Links between cancer and polymyositis are commonly suggested. However, almost no studies have been done to research which cancers accur in combination with polymyositis, and how often. To be honest, I believe that the best thing you can do is to live a healthy life and to focus on treatment of your polymyositis. Worrying about cancer is not going to help you at all. I am sorry you feel scared about your prognosis, but as you mention, most people with polymyositis can improve their muscle strength using drugs, and live relatively normal lives.

That you. Can I be so free as to ask how got that information? And if any studies have been done can you tell me how I can get my hands on those? Information is still the best weapon I have – apart from medication, of course! – and I would like to arm myself with all the knowledge I can get. In the meantime, I will try and stop worrying too much.

I was diagnosed with polymyositis about 5 years ago. I have never heard of it being linked to cancer. I went months barely able to walk. Drs put me on methatrexate and steroids. It took about 6 months before I got strong enough to wash my own hair. I was good for almost 2 years and then I started to slow down. Couldn't walk up stairs, couldn't do much. I ended up in a wheel chair for over a year. Then it took over a year to get back on my feet. Its a slow mean desease. I would not wish it on anybody.. If you have any questions, feel free to write me.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I was diagnosed with PM when I was only 5 years old. I took steroids for about 5-6 years ( started on high dose and tapered down). in my teen and college age years was said to be in remission. Now I've had "relapses" and I am currently facing a possible cancer diagnosis. From what I've read, most people who get diagnosed are adults, so they don't live much longer than 20-30 years after diagnosis. I am now in my late 30's. I'm sorry to sound like such a "negative nelly", but I'm wondering if