Hi. My grandfather is 72 years old. Not so long ago he started complaining that his hearing is getting worse and that it is less clear than it used to be. I mean, he is eldery but is it normal to start loosing hearing so rapidly??? Is there some treatment that can slow it down??? Should we take him to doctor to examine him?? Thanks all for all replies.

I think that your grandpa has Presbycusis - the loss of hearing that gradually occurs in most individuals as they grow old. It is normal thing and everyone who lives long enough will develop some degree of presbycusis. Moreower, persons who damage their ears from loud noise exposure will develop it much sooner. This involves a progressive loss of hearing which begins with high-frequency sounds. There is no cure for this as it is normal thing in that age. But, you can get him hearing aids such as listening devices. You can take him to the doctor only if you want to be sure that there is nothing else to it, which I really doubt.