I have had constant ringing in both ears for the past year. A visit to my doctor last year showed no external reason, and he said "just have to get used to it" It does interfere with almost any activity. Hearing seems to be normal or perhaps a little less as i get older. I am a 54 y/o male. Can anyone help?

I would NOT accept the "get used to it" response. Go to an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. It's hard to find a GOOD doctor these days. Also, research, research and research again online. Good Luck.

Hi i want to share something to you that can surely help, it's about tinnitus remedy and tinnitus relief

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have had that for about 35 years. I'm 69 now. No doctor, ear or otherwise, ever offered any cure. They all say it goes along with what I call "male pattern hearing loss". I think it's as genetic as male pattern baldness. Most hearing specialists I have been to have asked me if I had it after they measured my hearing as though it's an indicator of hearing loss. I have gotten used to it to the point that I don't usually notice it unless something reminds me of it. Thanks a bunch, now I can hear it 8-|

:-) It's little hard not to think about it if you read about it. I'm sorry that I will remind you once again on it, but I'm interested in one thing. You haven't tried anything to cure this? Or you have but it didn't workout well. :-)

No I haven't. None of the hearing specialists I have seen or my doctor, feel there is much validity to those claims for cures. It's well known that you can mask it with white noise and that's what many of them do. White noise generators have been around for a long time as an aid for getting to sleep. White noise is what you get if you tune an FM radio away from a station. The sound portion of the old analog TV signal is also FM, so working in a TV shop I was exposed to white noise all day too. That probably masked it somewhat. I don't really know how long I may have had it. I think I was in my late 30s when I finally identified it.

When I was young I could hear above 16,000 cycles but I don't know just how high my hearing went. We had audio test records that went up to 20,000 cycles for use with record players. I could hear the 16,000 test but not above it. I always figured that was more the limitation of the record player than my ears. Most phono cartridges didn't pick up that high and most amplifiers and speakers of that time were not capable of reproducing it. The first commonly available record player to have a speaker that was capable of those high frequencies was built by Philco in 1955 or 56. It used a capacitive speaker.

Being in the TV repair business my good hearing at that time was a plus because I could always hear the high voltage transformer singing across the room from the TV. If I went out for a no picture complaint and I heard the 15,750 when I turned the TV on I knew where not to start looking. If I didn't hear it I knew where TO start looking. The ringing I hear is very similar to that so I probably didn't notice it right away, being in a room full of TVs running all day.

When I first began to notice it, I was still hitting the bars at night and the ringing went away after a couple glasses of water ------- with a little whisky flavoring. I was 42 the first time I had my hearing tested. I had been elected to the board of directors of the drag strip and went to an audiologist to get professionally fitted ear plugs. He insisted on doing a hearing test that revealed I could hear almost nothing above 3,000 cycles by then. That is down to 2,000 now. I had already noticed the high frequency loss when listening to my favorite music by the time I went to him so I expected to hear about the loss but I was surprised at the severity. That's when he asked me if I had a ringing in my ears. Since he brought it up, that reminded me of it and I asked him if there was anything to get rid of it. His answer was no, but if it prevented me from sleeping I could probably get relief by masking it with white noise at bedtime. I asked my doctor and he had the same advice.

It never bothered me enough to do anything about it and I wasn't going to fall prey to those ads in the back of magazines. It don't really notice it unless something causes me to think of it.