Hi, folks, as a teen, I used to use headphones a lot... but my research showed that significant hearing loss has troubled most headphones users so what can I do about it? Like putting a carved block of foam inside???!!! C'mon, guys, help me out, giving up is not an opinion, not when listening to music...

Hi Guest,

Keep the volume down, that's the best way.

Anything above about 90 decibels can cause long term impairment.  OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration limits noise exposure at 90 decibels to 8 hours per day max.

FYI, a dial tone (landline phone) is about 80db, normal conversations are usually about 65db.

Hope it helps.

What do you mean by giving up?
You can have LOUD and destroy your hearing or you can have a low(er) level to preserve what you have left.
What is your cut off frequency now on a hearing test?
When I was tested in 1982 they said I couldn't hear much of anything above 3000 cycles. In 1992 it was down to 2200 cycles and in 2002 it was down to 1600 cycles.

When I was a teen in the 50s we knew nothing about hearing loss due to loud sound or protection from it. However I worked in consumer electronics at that time and a 10 watt output was a big radio size. A 100 watt amp was a very expensive commercial type. It was said that they only used 100 watts to fill Yankee Stadium in those days.That 10 watt radio with a 15 inch speaker running wide open would drive most people out of a room. You can easily see that the hundreds of watts they promote today and kids like in their cars is certainly damaging.

If you've already hurt it, you ain't a gonna git it back.

Thanks, bro, yeah, I tried to keep the volume low,usually 2% out of 100% in my computer and 1 out of 15 in my phone... that's not gonna hurt no matter how long I listen, right? Is it??? Thanks a lot for your help...

Exposure to loud noise is one of the reasons for hearing loss. The headphones with loud noise may lead you to hearing loss. All that can be suggested is try to avoid long usage of headphone and make sure you keep the volume low while using it. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use