About 4 years ago I noticed that when i talk or listen to others talk sometimes my ears are like broken speakers (if that makes any sense). It really bugs me. Then a few months ago I noticed that I get really weird dizzy spells when I tilt my head a certain way. The spells come and go and are mostly if I lay or tilt my head to the left side but it happens sometimes on the right just not as often. I get dizzy alot and get the feeling like I am going to pass out. My grandma had the same thing when she was about my age and had some kind of surgery but she can't remember what it was called and she said it fixed it. I have a hard time hearing people when they are talking and need the tv volume just right with the speaker close to me in order to hear. Oh yeah and I am only 27 years old. I have had ear infections my whole life, last diagnosis was in 2002. I also have battled tonsilitis, bronchilitis and strepthroat for most of my life as well. I catch colds really easy and get the flu every year. Anyone else experience any of this. I don't have a Dr right now because I just move to a new city so I can't find anything out until I find a Dr. Thanks.

I know exactly what you are experiencing. For as long as I can remember, I have been hard of hearing in my right ear only. I have been a singer all my life and when ever I'm with the choir and I begin to sing my right ear "goes out" and I hear "snow" like when the tv is on the wrong channel; at least thats how i describe it to my dr. this distortion only happens in loud situations ( car with window down-i get distortion and can't hear passenger talking). I failed a lot of hearing tests in high school and was referred to a specialist and they did the silent tests where you sit in a booth and they check your hearing range, and i passed. obviously seeing that my probmlem isn't when i'm in silence. i know this probably didn't help you, but atleast you know you are not alone.

hey, loud@20... did you ever get a more formal diagnosis? I have the same broken speaker sound in my ear, went to a dr and passed all the hearing tests. it is driving me crazy.

it is "great" to find that others are experiencing the same problem as me. I too have the "broken speaker" feeling in my ear. Went to a Dr and passed all the acustic tests. Have no idea what to do next and it is driving me crazy? Someone suggested a dentist. Has anyone been able to solve this mystery?

brokenear wrote:

HERE IS THE ANSWER
It usually occurs also after a Stapedectomy which I had done recently and now I have a slight broken speaker effect when I hear loud noises and constant pressure changes...(Between inner ear and middle ear)
dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/unilat/fistula.html

brokenear wrote:

Its called Perilymph Fistula
I have it too..but Just had a Stapedectomy..There are other causes

heyy.

i read the info on Perilymph Fistula, and i seriously dun think it is wat is causing the broken speaker sound in my ear.

i am currently 18 and this has been bugging me ever since i can remember. and has become a hindrance and disrupted my life.

i am not good with words, and find the broken speaker the best way to describe this condition.

crackling sound whenever my right ear hears
- loud noise
- high pitch music
- running water
- and even when i talk too loudly myself.

i tried describing my condition to my peers, but none seems to understand it. for a moment i though i was lunatic and hallucinated this in my ear, therefore no one understands me. so i really feel comforted that i am not the only one suffering from this.=((

i really hope someday someone will be able to explain why i am suffering from this. and why it chose me.

Hey everyone. I also have this hearing problem. Mine stated about 6 months ago and was hoping it would just go. I have looked into it and thought it may just be had wax & got drops but its not going. I'm not sue what to do. I can't believe you have all suffered for years with it. Any suggestions on how to make it better? The only way to describe it is the sound that a bust speaker makes. When ever i or someone else talks too loud my hearing goes very crackled & sounds the same as when a speaker has been blown. What can we do for this? I am having a baby very soon which will cry loudly lol. I don't no how i will cope with the noise that this problem is causing!

heyy.

for me, i just cover my ear when there is loud noises when possible, but the people who dont understand you may just think you are weird or being rude. hais. get yourself a noise cancelling headset that drummers use. its expensive, but a good investment cause the baby's crying will very likely cause more irritation to the ear. all the best, but yea, my doctors are unable to provide a good reasoning.

Hey Guys,

For me, this explanation broken radio and "pops" in my ear when someone or me speaks loudly fits quite well to me.
I couldn't find a perfect words to describe whenever i tried to tell someone my condition. This has been with me for yrs and still it sticks.
I'm getting worried does this get hanged on to me for life. And there's no cure to it? Anyone having this and has shake it off please tell me what i can do.

Thanks lots.

Hey Guys,

Thanks lots. 8-|

Hi all, ok I have been having this same hearing problem! The broke speaker thing, plus slight pressure at times, i know this is sooo annoying, so i went to the Dr. today! My Dr said that i have fluid behind my ear..... they gave me a shot and 10 days worth of eardrops, she said if that didnt help she would refer me to a NET( nose, ear, and throte dr.) so today is just the first day, ive had the shot and my first dose of the of eardrops, cant tell a difference yet but i havent had a flear up either so dont freak out if you have this broken speaker noise it might just be somthing simple, like the fluid wich is cause by siniuses or allergies cause they also but me on zertec D. all note if the meds are working in a few days. Misty

I have had the blown-out speaker problem with my right ear, on and off for six years now. I've seen ENTs and hearing doctors, and no one could find anything wrong with me. Other than I have small ear canals and need yearly wax cleanings. The ENT thought it might be that I grind my teeth in my sleep. He recommended that I wear a guard at night, but since I also tend to be a troubled sleeper, I threw that out the window--plus, my husband (and sleeping partner for six years) has never noticed that I grind my teeth, so I don't think that's it.

What has helped my issue immensely, is cutting out dairy. Sounds weird, but it's true. I found this out by accident. A few years ago, I moved to South Korea for work, and noticed quite nicely, after a while, that my ear was better--no more terrible, annoying, blown out speaker. I started to wonder what was different. No dairy. I was eating mainly a local diet of vegetables, peppers, rice, fish and seaweed. To test this, I ordered a four cheese pizza from the local pizza hut, and hate three or four slices. And you know what? The next morning, I woke up, and my right ear was terrible--blown out, full, like it needed it pop, and my voice as well as others' voices were distorted.

Since this epiphany several years ago now, I try to keep dairy to a minimum, and my ear issues are generally quite good--And when I slack in my diet, my ear tells me by being a terrible, blown out speaker.

I recommend giving this a shot for those of you suffering from this.

My right ear hears voices in a distorted way. I guess the 'blown out speaker' description is best. I've been to an ENT, passed all the hearing tests, and have an MRI scheduled. The doctor said she had never heard of such a thing. My symptoms come and go. So far I have been unable to determine what causes the 'events'. For me, it last about an hour and is accompanied by a slight humming (ringing ?) in the affected ear. Any suggestions?

Hello, I am wondering if you have had any relief with this blown out speaker sound in your ear? I have the same problem in both of my ears, but it's much, much worse in my right ear. I have been to doctor after doctor to include at least 6 or 7 ENT doctors, 3 family doctors, dentists, and allergists, and nothing! I am going back for more allergy testing, but have little hopes of any help. Most of the doctors don't seem too interested in working with me to determine the cause of it, and many have told me that I won't find a doctor to help since they can't "see" anything in my ears or detect any hearing issues with the hearing tests. I've tried all the suggested remedies for what they seem to try and point this toward, eustachian tube dysfunction, but none have made any difference....decongestants, steroid nasal sprays, anthihistamines, etc., etc. The only thing that gives me any relief is running for at least 30 minutes, but as soon as I stop running, the pain, pressure and crackling sounds are back. This broken speaker sound only comes up when I swallow or yawn, so I'm not sure what it is, but it's really had a huge impact to my life. It makes sleeping and concentrating very difficult. Please let me know if you have had any luck and I will do the same. As I said, I go back for more allergy testing tomorrow. We'll see if that reveals anything different than the last two allergy tests. Good luck to you and take care.