Can drugs affect sleeping and cause night mares, sleeping disturbances and vivid dreams? I mean drugs that are not used as psychoactive treatment. I sometimes have very vivid dreams and think that are triggered by drug that I sometimes take for gastric indigestion. That would be very awkward side effect of my proton pump inhibitor. Is it possible?

I recently read an article about drugs influence on dreams. Your post reminded me that. Drugs that affect realising of neurotransmitters acetylcholine and dopamine have disturbing effects on dreaming. Drugs that have effect on realising serotonin have opposite effect and decrease incidence of nightmares and vivid dreams. As we know that certain foods also have effects on these substances in our body, there’s nothing strange in the fact that anti-ulcer med has sleeping disturbances as its side effect.

I was taking Elavil several years ago, I had evil, horrible dreams or just plain strange dreams that were really hard to explain to someone else. I wondered how my brain came up with those things. Sometimes I have dreams that are not exactly dreams. I know I want to wake up, but I am unable to move, I am paralyzed. I fight to move and even try make a noise so someone will check on me and wake me up.