Hi, my grandfather is 78 years old and he started to cough several weeks ago. As it was very cold outside at that time I thought it may be common cold. As he didn't stop with coughing and even it became worse I decided to take him to the doctor. They made him x-ray and several test and told me that hi is suffering from tuberculosis. I was very surprised as I thought that this disease is almost eradicated. I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, unfortunately tuberculosis is still out there. It is caused by mycobacterium tuberculosis which is not so potent and contagious but in the same time when someone gets tuberculosis it very hard disease. Medications which are used in treatment of tuberculosis do not kill these bacteria but make it to stop its developing. That is why these medications are called tuberculostatics. Tuberculosis symptoms are fever, night sweating, losing of weight, coughing and weakness. In hard cases people who suffer from tuberculosis may cough blood.