Hello, folks. I have been suffering from lung problems for months. I think my doctors suspects on tuberculosis, but I am not sure why. I will need screening for tuberculosis. I would like to know what examinations I should take. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advance. Bye!

Hello. One of the most accurate tests is Mantoux test. This test used a small amount of substance called PPD tuberculin. It is injected in the inner side of your forearm. A doctor will see if there is a reaction after 48 to 72 hours. The response can be positive or negative. Positive response consists of hard, raised bump where injection was administrated. This usually means that one has tuberculosis. This test isn’t perfect since it can show false positive or false negative tests. There is also possibility of doing a blood test called QuantiFERON-TB Gold (QFT). There are some newer tests like the microscopic-observation drug-susceptibility (MODS) assay. Here, sputum samples are used for detecting mycobacterium. If the results are positive, some further tests are needed like: chest X-ray and culture tests.