Why is that tuberculosis such a dangerous condition? I mean, my granfather had it, he barely lived through it. He got infected somewhere in Africa, on his safari travels. Doctors used standard antibiotics, but they did not work, he had some type of bone tuberculosis so they combined several types of antibiotics until they got the effective therapy. Why is tuberculosis still active? I thought it was almost extinguished.

Unfortunately, your grandfather suffered from a very heavy illness, bone tuberculosis. It usually attacks long bones of human body, such as femur, but it can also infect spine and its parts. This condition can lead to bone necrosis and deformation, which can make patient unable to walk or perform any movements. Your grandfather was lucky to survive at all and get back to its feet.