Is tuberculosis exposure dangerous? How infective this disease is? I ask this because my daughter is a medical college student. In last few weeks she had exercises on patient suffering from lung illnesses, thus including tuberculosis. I have to admit that I do not know one thing about transferring diseases, but I am concerned about my daughter. How do they protect themselves during these exercises?

Tuberculosis is created in patient's organism by infection from mycobacterium tuberculosis. Infection can be caused by literally one bacterium. It is very infective, so anyone who comes in touch with the diseased has to take extra care. I assume that students are wearing quality-breathing masks if they enter the patient's room at all. But, they are probably in the room next door and communicating with patients through glass. There is no need to worry; there is no way that the college authorities would allow their students to be in any danger.