My husband has the tuberculosis. The doctors are saying it is caused by mycobacterium tuberculosis. He was admitted to a hospital. They have tried to explain the disease to me but they have use all those medical terms that I do not understand. I want to know is it curable. Also I would like to know is it contagious and could I take the kids to see him.

Tuberculosis, one of the oldest diseases known to affect humans, is caused by bacteria belonging to the mycobacterium tuberculosis complex. The disease usually affects lungs, although in up to one-third of the cases other organs are involved. If properly treated, tuberculosis caused by drug-susceptible strains is curable in virtually all cases. Transmission usually takes place trough the airborne spread of droplet nuclei produced by patients with infectious pulmonary tuberculosis.