hi I am a 23 year old female mother and wife I have recently been diagnosed with RA and erosive arthritis it has been such a struggle with me for 2 years and to finally put a name to this pain but I feel like im all alone no one in my family understands what iam going through ugh so here iam for questions im taking 10mg of prednisone in the am and 5mg in the evening daily also 4 methotrexate pills once a week and folic acid and vitamin d but iam not getting any type of relief iam still in constant pain and always swollen my doctor gave me a shot in my knee and hip that was in most pain and I was in the worst pain ever for 2 days and the shot did nothing also I had dental surgery and was on antibiotics for 7days now my face is all puffy and swollen could it be a side affect to the mixture off all the drugs or a reaction to one? since taking all these meds ive been having trouble sleeping headaches hair loss eating not even being hungry the list goes on and its like my doctor doesn't even care just wondering if anyone else is going through this and may have some insight

Hi.  My husband has had RA for over 25 years.  He is on the drugs you take, but when they were not working he was put on a drug called Enbrel.  It has made such a huge difference to his managing RA.  Here in Australia it is subsidised by the government, as its original cost is huge.  We only pay around $36. It is in an injection form, he does it himself now, I used to give it to him. Not sure where you are or the costs involved. 

I am in New Jersey they want to start me on iv infusions for the pain but I'm trying to be super cautious to the extent of my care because I am so young and have children at home but it's like my doctors don't explain anything to me and I find my self looking for answers else where I have insurance and they cover basically everything

I'm assuming you have a Rheumatoid Arthritis specialist??

Yes I see a rheumatologist

Well I guess you can ask about other drugs like Enbrel....I know here in Australia with my husband they started with gold injections or tablets, not sure. But that ended up giving him side effects, so then he went on to Methlytrexate and other drugs.........eventually after having side affects and his joints still not under control from disease he was lucky to be put on the drug trial for Enbrel.  Also lucky to get the real thing and not a placebo in the trial.  Its been really good for a number of years now.  He still takes a small amount of Methyltrexate, but not a lot.  It used to give him stomach ache and rash in bigger dosage. There are so many new drugs now....but they are so expensive unless USA has like Australia, a scheme which puts certain drugs on list to be affordable. Under $40 if on this list.

Ok thank you I will mention enbrel to my doctor happy to hear your husband is doing well it's hard living in constant pain I hope and pray I get the same relief

so doctor decided to start me on chemo infusions with remicade lets see how this works out for me :