Hello, folks. My friend was diagnosed RA. I know that this is a very serious disease and that it cannot be cured. My friend has deformation of fingers because of RA. I would like to know something more about this. I would appreciate all your replies. Thank you in advance. Bye!

Hello. Rheumatoid arthritis is indeed a serious disease. It belongs to a group of autoimmune diseases. The body’s immune system attacks its own structures and molecules. In RA case, the synovial, a part of every joint is under attack. First, joints are swollen, red, warm and painful. These changes are usually symmetric. After a long period of disease, the joint becomes to get deformed. They have a characteristic look with crooked fingers. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello there salomon,

As biron has already said RA is really very hard condition and unfortunately there is no cure for this condition. The only thing you can do to help your friend is to be supportive as much as you can when the bad times of the condition comes. There are periods of relapses when the pain is not that severe as usually. The worst part is that sometimes even anti-inflammatory medications aren’t helping so your friend is really going through some rough periods.

Deformity of the fingers cannot be changed and the medications that your friend is taking are mostly for reducing the symptoms. I hope that you will manage to find a way to help your friend.