%-) Hello I was diagnose with Diverticulitis and have RA and Fibromyalgia. I'm 43 and have pain on my lower left side. The first time I got the pain was 1 year ago the pain was severe but it went away. The pain came back so went to the MD and surgeon they sent me for a CT. It came back with a mild diverticulitis (Now when I had the CT done the pain level was about 5) so they recommend surgery. But my RA MD does not because my Fibromyalgia might make the pain level worse and recovery time might be longer the 2 weeks Because of my RA treatments . I change my diet to high fiber to see if the pain goes away. The level of pain when from 10 to about a 5. Now I have the pain for 2 weeks now. I would like to know if any one had the surgery with RA also. What was the recovering time and was it worth it. I'm considering it. Thank you.

in April 2010 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and also being seen by a rheumatologist as I have RA. In May 2010 I had a bowel resection done that lasted 3 days and went under surgery again and came out with an ileostomy. At the time I thought it was the end of the world but I had an excellent surgeon and 6 months later had the ileostomy reversed and back to an ra normal. I do believe the recovery took a little longer than the expected 4 months but that was attributed to ra. You will have to go off any ra meds you are taking but they pump you up with some very strong pain meds. Total hospital stay was a cumulative 7 weeks so be prepared. After all that I believe it was worth it. Good Luck , the time will pass and pray your situation will not be to wear a bag.

I see this is over a year old but felt it needed another point of view. I just posted my experience with the sigmoid colon resection surgery here https://www.steadyhealth.com/Diverticulitis_surgery_pain_level_t108216.html?page=3#1079464 but didn't mention my RA.

I had the laparoscopic surgery, not the open one. I did have to go off my meds for quite a while and still haven't restarted the methotrexate or the plaquinil, but I have restarted the prednisone and the celebrex. I may restart the other two next weekend if I'm feeling better, I just can't imagine taking the methotrexate right now. The methotrexate and the prednisone will interfere with healing, so they will take you off them a week or two before the surgery until a week or two after, depending on how fast you heal.

I don't know why the other poster was in the hospital 7 weeks, which is why I wanted to post in case anyone else reads this. I was released 5 days after surgery.