hi, i had unprotected sex 6 days before i was supposed to ovulate. i no that they say that your most fertile from around 4 days before you ovulate but is it still possible to happen if i had sex 6 days before?

There are reports that state that sperm can live in a woman up to 5 days, so you could be pushing it pretty close.

Many women are inaccurately timing their ovulation these days, so unless you use a kit to test, you could be off =/- 2 days or so.

Whenever you have unprotected sex you are risking pregnancy.

Hello.

Well, I got pregnant exactly when I ovulated, so I am not so familiar with this situation. But I have heard that this is possible as well. I agree that whenever you have unprotected intercourse, you are in the risk to ask yourself "could I be pregnant". So, yes - you can. Sprem doesn't vanish from your body within 24 or 38 hours for example. It can stay even longer than 5 days. I am reading that some girls say that it is not scientifically possible, but I think that I do know pretty many chases were girls got pregnant even if wasn't scientifically possible.

So, I would rather use protection than ask myself what and when.

Hi I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 6 days before my period can there be a possible chance I can become pregnant?? i was already showing the signs of ovulating..I would get a little bit of blood when I wiped Does that change anything?

I became pregnant well after I ovulated! Both times, What you are relying on is the Rhythm Method of birth control This is the least effective form of birth control. It is hard to follow, and not always on the money. I got pregnant 5 days before my period with my 1st child and 10 before with my 2nd. I don't mean to frighten you, but that blood could also be the result of fertilization. A lot of women get that mixed up with a "light period" When it is in fact the embryo attaching to the lining of the womb. The amount of people on this site alone not having protected sex is beyond belief to me. I hope that if you are not pregnant, that you consider this a close wakeup call. With the rise of VD and other "old time STD's" Pregnancy could be the least of your worries.!!! Good luck

It is not scientifically possible to get pregnant five days (nor 10) before the start of your next cycle. The Rhythm Method does not tell you when you are ovulating. If you are using a form of Natural Family Planning and determining when you ovulate, you will discover that you cannot get pregnant more than 24 hours (how long an egg survives at most) after you ovulate. Sperm can live up to five days in mucus, so if you already had fertile symptoms and you incorrectly determined your time of ovulation, pregnancy may be possible. However, if you correctly identified ovulation, it is not.

Hi Guest: I don't like using message boards to disagree with someone, but your statement is TOTALLY wrong!! Women can get pregnant at ANYTIME! Even when they have their periods! Yes it is less likely than when you are ovulating, BUT it still happens! And BOTH my boys WERE conceived AFTER I ovulated! So please be careful with the advice you are giving!

The Rythym Method relies TOTALLY on when you are ovulating and need a LOT of insight

http://www.contracept.org/rhythm.php

This is why the Rythym Method/Natural Planning etc is VERY iffy due to everyones changing cyle!

Bambi27, please stop spouting inaccurate nonsense. In order to get pregnant, there has to be an egg. The egg lives 12-24 hours after release. You're getting pregnant because you are incorrectly calculating your ovulation date. Most people ovulate halfway into their cycle length, but not everyone. There is also a variable window for sperm to live from 3-7 days. You cannot get pregnant at any time, unless you are ovulating at a different cycle date than what you are expecting.

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/afterovulation.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_can_you_get_pregnant_during_your_cycle

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/487135.html

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/981.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=127

http://www.askbaby.com/can-you-get-pregnant-during-your-period.htm

my LMP was 10/26/09 and my ovulated 7-10 but i had unprocted sex on the 11/04/09. Could I be pregnant?

I to got pregnant with my first son the day my cycle ended.

bambi27 and guest, you guys were arguing but talking about the same stuff! All of you need to go to and read it. Wiki doesn't have correct information by the way. You both are talking about implantation. bambi you had sex earlier in the weeks but the embryo IMPLANTED before your period, which is always what happens, thus causing slight bleeding or implantation bleeding. Which can confuse most women into thinking they're having a light or unusual period. You have to be really in tune with your body to do the rhythm method, so it's not recommended for most women because of all the time and effort it takes. It definitely requires you to know when you're ovulating, hence that is the reason for pregnancy. A lot of big Catholic families that you refer to probably had all those children because they wanted to or it's based on the belief that whatever amount of children God is willing to give you, you will take it. They were not ignorant to their own bodies. Natural family planning does work but it takes lots of time and practice and if you were to get pregnant you wouldn't be upset about it. Or else every Catholic or religious family would have children like the Duggars! If you listen to them you'll know that the majority of the 19 were planned.

To Guest, I think bambi27 meant that she ovulated, the egg & sperm met up, and pow CONCEPTION! i knew what you meant but it does sound confusing when you first read it. It sounds like you're saying you had sex after your ovulation date and still got pregnant. If that's what u meant you are wrong, so I hope not. The egg really only lives for 12-24hrs. So many women think they're ovulating but you don't really know unless you're charting, observing cervical position & mucus, and/or ovulation predictor kits. Women get pregnant before their period hence the testing when your period is missed. I think the terms pregnancy, conception, ovulation, are just be written incorrectly as to wear there's a disagreement. Just explain what you both mean better because you were definitely talking about the same thing.

Bambi27 I think a lot of women on here having unprotected sex are trying to conceive, in a relationship, or married. I mean you never know what the case it. Yes you can get STIs but I don't know if her question was meant as a negative one. She never said she DIDN'T want to be pregnant. Just if she could be. I am in the same boat with this one. If I am great, if not there's always next month! If his sperm did survive for 4 days before then there are studies out that suggest the longer liver sperm are "girl" sperm, versus the short sperm that die quickly, "boy" sperm. Let's see if this is correct!

The reason doctors say you can get pregnant at anytime is because you can ovulate at different times each month depending on internal and external factors like stress, etc... Depending on how long or short your leutal phase is really lets you know if you can conceive at which times of the month.

To answer your question (which I'm sure you know by now since this was a year ago, but just FYI for others with the same question) Sperm can live for days depending how strong they are and how often he has ejaculated. Doctors say for those whom want to conceive have sex every OTHER day, not everyday so that the man has time to increase healthy sperm. So yes it is possible but there are so many factors, you have to first be positive you even ovulated that day!!!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi Miss! At first I was looking like this o.O Because I couldn't remember this post! My point was and still is, that it takes - like you stated - a LOT of work to realize when you ovulate and women can ovulate at different times of the month! With both of my boys I conceived just before my period, and my husband and I had sex everyday of that month! The egg lives anywhere from 12 - 48 hours after ovulation and the sperm can live around 5 days in the uterus, so there is about a week, where this CAN happen! Surprisingly women can ovulate RIGHT ont he cusp of menstruation - thus women getting pregnant while on their period - due to the egg/sperm thing! When I stated about "well after ovulation" it wasn't based on MY ovulation it was based on what most people think the time is that they ovuate - most, as did I assume that it was day 14 in the cycle! I was never one of those women who had MAJOR signs of ovulation! And all I know is that I became pregnant quite close to my period with both my children!

Regarding your comment about a lot of women having unprotected sex are trying to conceive! That is 50% right! ;-) Since I have become a supporter on here, I would say it is half half, a LOT of young girls and guys write on here FREAKED out they had unprotected sex and are now worried that they could become pregnant!!! And most end up pregnant! Some have had STI's too! You are right about the fact that she never stated that she DIDNT want to get pregnant! It was just that I took that from the tone of the post! PLUS had been answering non stop about young girls being terrified that they were! So it becomes a common thread! For quite some time now I ask question about regular periods, how many times unprotected, are they stressed about being pregnant or really wanting to be etc.!

I too have read about the Female and Male sperm debate! It coule be a VERY interesting thing to try and sort out - I don't know how they would do that - withouth invitro! Actually about 1 week ago doctors on tv stated that the more sex a man had the more fertile his sperm were! So it seems that every month or so there is new information contractiding the other information! I have always said and still say "It takes ALL the planets to be lined up to become pregnant!" It SOUNDS SO simple but it isn't there is a LOT of chance and timing involved! That is why I tell women - who don't really notice a change with their bodies (like I didn't) NOT to miss an opportunity and have sex as much as possible! To me it takes out the work involved in when you are more fertile etc. Since there is that almost a week window!

When I had my children 17 and 14 years ago, women were told that they ovulated 14 days! It is really only recently that you hear of SO many women ovulating at different times! Our bodies are SO intune to stresse's etc, and react accordingly! So thus me saying that you CAN get pregnant at ANYTIME! As many younger people think that they are safe having sex just before, during, or right after their periods, and they aren't!

Yea I completely agree but with you saying women get pregnant on their periods or ovulate right before them means you have a short Leutal Phase. So you're lucky because most of them end in miscarriage, chemical pregnancy. That's why I said women need to know their LH because it really determines how fast you can conceive and why many women can try for months and not have results.

Oh and I'll be one of the test subjects for that theory! I had sex 4 days before I ovulated. And DH has been gone since. As soon as I POAS and get a + then wait 4 months XD I will be able to tell if it worked if we have a little girl. If it's a boy: MYTH BUSTED! :O And wow I didn't hear about the BD everyday theory... that's why men can't donate sperm everyday because the numbers go down. I do know that much. I wouldn't take any chances either if you're really trying to conceive. I'd say BD every time you get a chance! But if that's not working, slow down and try every other day and relax. Usually when women stop trying they get pregnant! They even say if men wait too long to ejaculate the numbers go down... so it's a win win or lose lose situation however you want to look at it!