I had sex on the day this app tells me that day was my ovulation day . My last period was on January 4th - January 9th , it wasn't a normal period though. Could I be pregnant or what? Please help !

Dear Emily

You don't give the date of ovulation, but assuming a 28 day cycle, it would have likely been 18th Jan. Unprotected sex on that day is likely to lead to pregnancy, but you wouldn't be pregnant yet: implantation would not take place until 27th Jan (+/-3 days). You mention an unusual period but don't say in what way it was not usual, or what you were suggestin.g about its significance

Yes that app says it should be on jan. 18. What does it mean that im not pregnant yet? & i had an unusual period because it lasted morw than average, plus spotting.

You are only pregnant when the fertilised egg implants into your uterus. That is usually 9 days (+/-3) after ovulation.

Usually ovulation is calculated by counting from the start of your period, which is Cycle Day 1, as this is the only certain date. However that only works for those who are always regular. In fact, your period comes a fortnight after ovulation, when pregnancy has not occurred. So if you have a 28 day cycle, you would probably ovulate on CD 15. However if you have a 30 day cycle, you would probably ovulate on CD 17.

I hope this helps, but if you want more explanation, please ask.

So when will be a good time to get a pregnancy test or how will i know if i am or not?

You haven't said whether you want to be pregnant or not. As implantation has not taken place, you are still in EC timescale! If you are wanting to be pregnant, a blood test could be positive on 29th Jan, but I suggest waiting until after your next period due time has passed, so I suggest 2nd Feb.

Im not sure of wanting to be pregnant or not. Im bearly 16, plus my boyfriend jist left me. What the EC timescale?

EC is best taken early. Many are 72 hours (3 days), but more recent ones (like ellaOne) are 120 hours (5 days).

Is EC the plan B pill?

EC = Emergency Contraception.

• The Plan B pill is one example of EC. It can be effective for up yo 72 hours.
  • The ellaOne pill is another example of EC. It can be effective for up yo 12 hours.
  • There are others.

You are too late for Plan B

So what are the pros and cons on taking the EC?

Every drug has risks! Some pros and cons of Emergency Contraception:

Pros:

1. It can be your last resort to avoid unwanted pregnancy.
  2. You can have it soon after having an unprotected sex.: If taken within 72 or 120 hours (depending on pill) of unprotected sex, emergency contraceptives are almost 90 percent effective in preventing pregnancy.
  3. It is relatively safe for women to take as a form of backup birth control.
  4. Studies show fertility returns to normal (unless another form of birth control is used) after about a month and no long-term damage is done to a woman's uterus or her menstrual cycle. It won't affect your chances of getting pregnant in the future.
  5. In many places, you don't need a prescription to buy morning after pills (but usually age-restricted).
  6. If it fails to prevent pregnancy, it will not cause any harm to the baby.
  7. It may lower the risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer.

Cons:

1. Common side effects: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, irregular bleeding and breast tenderness.
  2. Can cause some serious side effects such as liver disorders, gallbladder disease, high blood pressure and blood clots in the heart, intestines and lungs. Can also cause serious health complications in women suffering from diabetes, heart diseases and migraine. Can also have adverse effects in women, who are over 35 years of age and have cardiovascular disorders, deep vein thrombosis, liver problems and breast cancer.
  3. Raises the risk of an ectopic pregnancy (the embryo gets lodged in the fallopian tubes rather than the womb), Such pregnancy can remain undetected because the symptoms of ectopic pregnancy are similar to the side effects of the pills: nausea and abdominal pain. If an ectopic pregnancy remains undetected for a long time, it can prove fatal.
  4. The body may have an allergic reaction to the drug, causing an outbreak of rash and breathing problems.
  5. The emergency contraceptive pills can also have a wider social impact. The easy over-the-counter access to the emergency contraceptive pill raises questions about its misuse. Many people are of the view that it may lead to an increase in promiscuity, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) and increased sexual violence against women.
  6. Some Anti Abortionists believe that emergency contraceptives are the equivalent of an abortion.

OK, a few things:

1. Just because an ovulation app tells you that was your ovulation day, that's not necessarily true. Different women ovulate on different cycle days and though that's often 14 or so days before the next period is due, it's not always. 

2. If you did have sex on your ovulation day or the five days before it, you can definitely be pregnant. Look out for pregnancy signs like fatigue, sickness, mood swings, bloated abdomen, peeing more often, sore breasts, etc, and make sure to take a home pregnancy test. Sometimes light bleeding is a pregnancy sign, so an "abnormal period" could be bleeding that's not a period but you thought it might be. Don't ask yourself "can I be pregnant?", but go check it. 

So since I took the EC within 10 min of unprotected sex my chances are 90% I won't be pregnant? And the fact I've been on birth control saves me too? The day I had unprotected sex was jan 16th and that was my 8th day on the pill so my chances are very low?

Dear Memo

Taking the EC pill early has given you a very good chance that you won't get pregnant, and that chance has indeed been calculated at 90%.

The fact you were on the birth control pill would increase that chance if you had been on it several weeks. I infer from "that was my 8th day on the pill" that you only started taking it a week ago. If so, it has probably increased that chance, but you don't say which pill you are using. The pill leaflet will probably say whether you are covered after just a week of starting.

Probably more significant is how 16th Jan fell in your cycle. The chances are that it was not in a fertile period anyway if it was the 8th day since the start of your last period.

Hope this helps