I had unprotected sex for the first time and I'm scared. I'm 16. It all happened in the heat of the moment. I'm suppose to get my period on Monday. My boyfriend didn't cum inside me and I know that for a fact. Should I be worried? I really just need insight please. I don't want to be scared

Personally, I wouldnt worry aha.

Thanks but why shouldn't I worry?

Because youre not usually fertile atm. And he didnt cum inside you.

Okay. Bit if I decide to take a plan b pill today can that delay my period dice I get it tomorrow or what?

It could potentially delay your period/make it shorter or longer

But if I don't do anything could I sltill get pregnant

I don't think youre pregnant anyway

Dear Jess

If you had sex today and your period is due tomorrow, you are not pregnant (yet), and you are very unlikely to get pregnant. A period arrives a fortnight after ovulation, so you would have to have ovulated about a fortnight later than usual to be fertile today. Are you always regular? how long is your cycle?

My periods are normal regular and I think 26 or 27 day cykcle. I'm just scared because things I've read said I could get pregnant after my period which doesn't make sense to me since sperm can live 3-5 if the conditions are right. & my period itself normal last 7 -8 days. I just hate reading things that say stuff like that because it stresses me out & that's not good.

Oops my cycle is more so a 28-29 day cycle

Dear Jess

The problem with what you read is that people do not always say what they mean or mean what they say. The other problem is that different people mean or understand different things from the same thing. That's why I often seek clarification of what someone means.

"I've read ... I could get pregnant after my period".

1. Some people use "get pregnant" to mean "start the process of getting pregnant". So "I could get pregnant after my period" would mean "I could get pregnant [in due course by having sex] after my period". So for you (with a period of 8 days) that would mean you had sex on cycle day 9. With a cycle of 28 days, you would expect to ovulate on day 15, and so would be considered fertile from cycle day 10. That means if you ovulated a day earlier, then you could be fertile on the day after your period. You would not become pregnant until about a fortnight earlier when implantation occurs.
  2. Perhaps more pertinently, some people use "get pregnant" to mean "become pregnant". So "I could get pregnant after my period" could mean
    • "I could get pregnant [in due course] after my period[ends by having had sex before my period]". This is unlikely (although not impossible) for at least two reasons:
      1. You would have to have ovulated during your period (if more than a five-day period), which would be about 10 days early. The semen would be in your fallopian tubes, so if you did ovulate early it would be able to fertilise.
      2. Your uterus would have to be in a condition to facilitate implantation.

For you that would mean ovulating by cycle day 5 (2 or three days before your period would normally end). Implantation could then be expected around day 14.

So it is possible for you to get pregnant from your unprotected sex, but the chances are very low. I often say that any time you have sex there is the chance of pregnancy following. But, as you say, "if the conditions are right".

If you want to go into this in more detail, please ask.

So I don't really have anything to worry about ? I'm just scared I couldn't handle anything like that at this age & I wouldn't want something like that to come out of a mistake. I'm also getting sick right now so i don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Do you know what the chance of it happening is like in a percent? I'm still a little confused sorry

Dear Jess

No need to apologise!

I don't know what the percentage chances are, but I don't think a number would help. If I said 1%, would you be happy? you could be that 1 in a hundred. However you 'getting sick' would be more because of an upcoming period or stress. You cannot be pregnant now.

Let me go over the concern of pregnancy for you.

1. Before you get pregnant you must ovulate (release an egg).
    1. Ovulation usually occurs once a 28-day cycle, but could occur at any time.
    2. With a regular cycle ovulation can be realistically predicted, but not guaranteed.
    3. Medication can disrupt a cycle, as can illness
    4. A released egg is only viable for about a day (perhaps 2)
  2. Sperm must be available to fertilise the egg (enter your vagina and travel to your fallopian tubes).
    1. Sperm can be introduced to the vagina through
      • sexual intercourse
      • manual transfer (fingering)
      • lubrication conduit (assisting sperm swimming from outside the vagina)
    2. Sperm can live in a female's body for up to 5 or 6 days, so must be there on ovulation day or any of the previous 5 days.
    3. Sperm is most often found in ejaculated semen
    4. Sperm can be found in pre-ejaculatory fluid
      • Some men always have it; Some men never
      • Residual semen from a previous ejaculation could mix with pre-ejaculatory fluid
  3. If fertilised, the egg needs to implant in your uterus (several days after ovulation), and stay implanted (often there is 'spontaneous abortion'). That is when pregnancy occurs.
  4. Your sexual intercourse (without ejaculation) was just before a period start so
    1. Not likely to be in a fertile period
    2. There may (or may not) have been pre-ejaculatory fluid
    3. Any pre-ejaculatory fluid may (or may not) have included sperm

So the likelihood of pregnancy, in my view, is extremely small. I would be very surprised if you did become pregnant. But I cannot give any guarantee of it. The only fairly sure way is emergency contraception, but that is not 100% guaranteed, and you should take advice.

I hope this helps further.

I was suppose to get my period today and it hasn't come yet. Can the fact this all happened on Saturday delay my period? I'm freaking out & girls I've talked to at my school said when they have sex there period comes a few days late