Some people say that bicarbonate of soda is the magic cure for just about anything! I'm not convinced that is true, but I am willing to accept that bicarbonate of soda can cure some things. What I am more curious about is if bicarbonate of soda has any side effects? Can bicarbonate of soda be dangerous in some circumstances?

Hi buck! Yes, I'm using bicarbonate of soda as a magic cure for everything. :-) But I'm always careful not to use it every day...my grandmother once told me it's not good to use it every day. As for the side-effects, I did a small research. These may take the form of pain, cramping, diarrhea or a feeling of being bloated, the athlete who suffers must try to eliminate them. Drinking up to a liter of water with the dose is often effective and should be carried out as standard. Breaking up the bicarbonate dose into, say, four equal portions taken over the course of an hour may also help. There are potential side effects to taking higher than normal levels of Sodium Bicarbonate so consult with your doctor first. I have never experienced any of these side effects. I hope these information will help you. :-)

Hi buck517, sodium bicarbonate is widespread form of treatment for various gastro-intestinal problems (acid reflux, bloating, and nausea). If, for example you suffer from occasional acid reflux, say once or twice a month, then one tablespoon of bicarbonate in one glass of water will ease the symptoms. It’s hard to imagine that someone would unknowingly ingest a large and potentially dangerous amount of rather unpleasant substance. Using bicarbonate for everything is dangerous because of the simple fact that it doesn’t actually cure anything – it just eases the symptoms, and potentially masks far more dangerous illness like peptic ulcer or gastritis, both of which have acid reflux and feeling of heaviness in stomach as their first symptoms.