Hello, folks. I have a problem with sleeping and my doctor recommends me to try with Xanax. I have never heard about this drug before, but he speaks highly of it. I would like to try, but I would first like to know which side effects I can expect. I would really appreciate your help with this. Thanks.

Benzodiazepines can potentially cause fetal harm when administered to pregnant women. If XANAX is used during pregnancy, or if the patient becomes pregnant while taking this drug, the patient should be apprised of the potential hazard to the fetus. Because of experience with other members of the benzodiazepine class, XANAX is assumed to be capable of causing an increased risk of congenital abnormalities when administered to a pregnant woman during the first trimester.

I just started taking it b/c my mom passed away 11/20/10...my first 3 days, after her death, I was numb, but started having crying jags...took my first one the day of the funeral...helped me op be able to greet guests as they came in...I took half one yesterday, b4 visiting my dad...it helps so far, but just take .5mg, a very small dose...hope I taper off in a week or two...its NOT good for long term use...had a aunt who got hooked on Valium

so far little side effects a bit of dry mouth, thats all higher doses can cause depression and depressed central nervous symptoms, like impotence and breathing---be careful with this drug, can also be addictive