Hi. I was diagnosed with urethral pain syndrome. I feel an urge to urinate and it burns really bad when I do. What could be the cause of my condition?

Hi. The cause of urethral pain syndrome is not really known. Some think the cause may be urethral narrowing, others say infectious agents, such as psychology, or neurologic factors, are to blame. My sister was diagnosed with urethral syndrome, turned out she has UTI. The symptoms of UPS are so similar to other urinary problems, and your doctor must first eliminate other diseases. It is very hard to treat illness whose cause is unknown. Antibiotics are usually first in the line of treatment drugs. Some people respond to certain oral pharmaceutical agents.

I was diagnosed by a urologist with urethral syndrome THIRTY years ago. Through my own research I have discovered the immediate cause of this pain within myself and how to relieve it.

CAUSE OF PAIN:
Through continuous monitoring of my urine pH and pain levels over a two month period and regular monitoring for an additional year, I discovered that acidic urine (pH of 4 to 6) is associated with burning pain in the urethra (urethral syndrome or non-specific urethritis). Urine that is neutral (pH of 7) or alkaline (pH greater than 7) is not painful. It is easy to measure your own urine pH with the use of pH test paper.

Note that it is possible to have acidic urine for a short period of time without experiencing pain. However, if the urine stays acid for any length of time, it becomes painful. As an experiment, we deliberately 'crashed' my husband's urine pH through diet and maintained it at acidic levels. He does not have urethral syndrome. On the ninth day of the acid-forming diet, he experienced burning pain in the urethra.

HOW TO STOP THE PAIN:
I have found it relatively easy to eliminate the pain of urethral syndrome/non-specific urethritis primarily through mineral supplements and secondarily through diet. Taking mineral supplements of calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, potassium bicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate makes the urine more alkaline and eliminates the pain of urethral syndrome.

Each day I take a total of:
* 1000 mg of calcium carbonate or calcium citrate
* 500 mg of magnesium oxide
* 1000 mg of potassium bicarbonate or potassium citrate
* 1400 mg of sodium bicarbonate (1/4 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in water)

I split this daily dose up and take a portion with each meal (breakfast, lunch and supper). Using this regime I HAVE BEEN PAIN-FREE since the summer of 2008.

The above amounts are all within the recommended daily allowances for adults. These mineral supplements are inexpensive and are widely available at pharmacies and health food stores.

IMPORTANT: Potassium must NOT be taken in high doses because this could affect the functioning of the heart even in a healthy person. If you have a heart condition, do not take ANY potassium supplement without first consulting your physician.

IMPORTANT: Do not take baking soda if a doctor has put you on a sodium-restricted diet.

IMPORTANT: Potassium chloride has no beneficial effect on urine pH because the chloride component is acid-forming. So the chloride cancels out the alkalinizing effect of the potassium. The same is true for sodium chloride (table salt).

DIET
FOODS THAT REDUCE THE PAIN OF URETHRAL SYNDROME:
Foods that are alkalinizing to the body (and urine) include most fruits and vegetables, especially potatoes (white and sweet), spinach, bananas, and raisins.

FOODS THAT INCREASE THE PAIN OF URETHRAL SYNDROME:
The acid-forming substances in food include all proteins and the minerals chloride and phosphorous. Acid-forming foods include meats, grains, beans and cheese due to their high protein content.

FOODS THAT ARE NEUTRAL:
Some foods do not significantly impact the acid-alkaline balance in the body. Sugar and oils and fats are neutral and milk, ice cream, yogurt and table salt are very close to neutral.

I cannot control my symptoms through food alone - I tried. I must take mineral supplements.

I encourage anyone experiencing urethral pain with no infection, to measure their urine pH with test paper. For me the relationship is direct and consistent - I only have pain when my urine pH is 6.0 or lower. I NEVER have pain when my urine pH is above 6.0.

If you measure your urine pH every time you pee for a few days, you will know whether urine pH is the cause of your pain. If it is, then you can absolutely eliminate the pain by taking mineral supplements as given above.

Good luck with this. You can write to me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
for more info.

Theresa : )

I have been having urethral pain for two years. Doctors have not been able to find out what is causing it. Like you, I discovered through my own diligence, that it is caused by an overly active urine (tested by ph strips). So far, I have only taken baking soda to relieve it, but I want to try your combination. Have you had an side effects from it? I take Meloxicam for arthritis and lisinopril for blood pressure, and material I find on the web says potassium citrate or carbonate reacts with it. What is your experience? Do you take any prescription meds?

I had a simular experience except I was too alkaline. It would burn below 6 and above 7.5. I also monitored my ph so that I'd be able to heal. Drinking alot of water helped, also walking and stretching. Everything I would apply would sting, even water, solarcaine, but gave some relief after 45 min., relpens, estrace. I'm finally better after 3 months, but I still have to be careful.

I find this extremely interesting. I have been suffering with what my urologist has diagnosed me with Urethral Syndrome. I have burning in the urethra with frequent urination. Where can I buy ph test paper? I am currently taking uribel for burning and doxcycline antibiotic.

Ph paper is sold in health food stores and some drug stores. I'm still testing now and then, but thank God I'm pain free. I found a site where a person figured out that they where suffering because they were too acid, which is the norm in our meat, grain orientated diet. Acid or alkaline can both burn you. I kept trying to perfect my diet that I went too far out of balance. Being a vegetarian I added oats, cranberries, and coffee for acids.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions Theresa.I came across your site aboutI 2 years ago when I was absolutely desperate for help.My Doctor was unable to help me after lots of tests.Blood,urine swabs and vaginal scans.I still don't understand why my bodybecame so acidic ,I was 58 at the time,still on HRT and had a problem with IBS and cystitis,so whether it was a mixture of all these elements.Anyway,I came across your site and the information you gave was God sent to me.I used the protocol and within hours I could feel the burning subsiding and was free for about 2 years.Unfortunately it has started again,probably due to a bit of neglect on my part and and stress so have started again with my regime as recommended.Do you find you have to stay on this forever,or does it settle down after a while.Thankyou so much though for your advice and I would recommend anyone suffering with these horrible symptoms to try the advice given,very best wishes Carol.

Teresa. How to split the dose of supplements do cut the pills in thirds or what Thank you Liz

Thank you so much Theresa!!! Amazing is all I can say!! Works unbelievably well...

I've been dealing with this problem for just a little over a month - and I've come to the same conclusion after using pH paper to test urine consistently. And, as you say - when the levels are 7 or higher, things feel fine - no burning. But, even after 1 time at a level of 6, and horrible burning.

It is SOOO difficult to keep my urine above 6....I have been using Prelief with every meal and avoiding all the acid causing foods. (I AM eating a lot of veggies, so that is good!) :)

I will try the supplements you recommend here. I tried a magnesium supplement before bed as I used to do for constipation and the burning was horrible and acidic urine pH levels were 6 or below last night around 3 am - is spite of only eating alkaline foods all day. Had to drink lots of water with baking soda and things finally settled down.

A question for you - I'm trying to get a sense of about how long after eating a particular food that I might experience burning so I have a clue what might have caused it. The IC food lists say to avoid lima beans, but I know they are very alkalizing, and I think they make me feel OK, but I'm not sure as things are still not steady.

One more question - about lemons. The IC diet says to avoid - but the alkaline diets say that lemon juice in water is VERY alkalizing. I have only tried a little lemon in water and I think it caused some burning, but my urine levels were already quite acidic, so I'm not sure if the lemon helped or made things worse. Now I am afraid to try it again. What has been your experience with lemons?

Thank you very much for sharing this.

I could have written what you posted!! I was eating WAAAY too many acid forming foods, and in Nov, started having burning. Test for UTI was negative, but with symptoms, doctor prescribed CIPRO. That made things a LOT worse. Since then, I have been testing pH of urine and as long as it's 7.0 or above, things feel fine. But, it is SOOOO hard to keep levels above 6.

I read in the past that our alkaline stores get depleted and our bodies therefore can't equalize the acids from the foods we eat.

I am now eating a LOT more alkalizing veggies and fish only once a day - no dairy. I also add baking soda to my drinking water. It's been a week, and only 1 day did pH go to 6 (with immediate burning) and that was when I did not drink enough water.

I, too, am confused about lemons, grapefruit, etc. - I LOVE granny smith apples, but along with citrus, these foods cause burning no matter the pH level.

The IC diet seems to be a good indicator of "bladder friendly" foods - that won't irritate the already damaged lining. But, it is heavy on meats and dairy which are VERY acid forming.

I took an extensive list of alkalyzing foods and matched it with the "bladder friendly" foods on the IC diet - and only eat those foods for now. If they aren't on BOTH lists, I don't eat it. This seems to help, too.

Supplements and vitamins are NOT ok now. I started slowly with Vit A and quiercetin as these seem to be OK and they are known to help heal the urinary tract lining.

I do think that eventually the lining will heal. If I can just get my body out of this acidic state so it isn't such a struggle to keep the pH level around 7.0.

One other thing that seems to be helping is increasing my vaginal estrogen cream. I am 61 and have not used HRT except for vaginal cream....but, apparently I was not using enough.

Hi, Well, I was doing so well until 3 weeks ago. I got blindsided by 10 days on antibiotics, which I didn't realize were very acid. So, I'm back checking my ph so that I can heal. I had forgot how relentless the pain can be and how everything seems to irritating.
Alkalizing diet for me: I have a geen drink in the morning with my oats and almonds, big salad for lunch with yogurt, and a green with my lentils for dinner
Hope you are better, if it is any consolation by keeping our ph balanced we maybe sparing ourselves greater ills

Very interesting to read all these experiences with are similar to mine. I first noticed burning after eating my nightly orange and thought it was unconnected. I have since been to GP and no infection but still given antibiotics and oestrogen cream. Cream irritates and antibiotics made no difference. I have also found a caruncle in the ureter opening and am now thinking my discomfort is a combination of the caruncle being more sensitive than ureter surface and the effects of acidic urine. Any advice out there would be very appreciated.

Hi, Theresa. Thank you so much for this information. Maybe you can help mr further? Since controlling acidic intake I seem to do better, but that includes discontinuing Vitamin C. I know the rda is only 60 milligrams but I have found that because I have low resistance to disease, I stay healthier taking about a gram per day. I don't know now how to get enough Vitamin C plus keep my urine at a healthy ph. Any suggestions or places I could look for further help? Thanks I advance. Victoria