Nowhere have I ever read of the problem I have. In the night I wake up choking on a horrible caustic substance that feels like lye in my throat. I wake up because I've inhaled it and can't breathe. I cough it up for an hour or more, and it never stops burning. It's impossible to get rid of the taste, no matter how much water I drink. I also take Tums and Zantac, or eat something sweet. Nothing works.

My doctor prescribed Prilosec and gave me a sample box of it. It says to take it for no longer that 14 days. I took the full course and it worked wonderfully - no reflux at all during that time. But about 3 days after the last pill, it resumed, every night. The box says I shouldn't take any more for 4 months! What am I supposed to do in the meantime?

I suffer from this also and am on Nexium and when go off it comes back in spades. Nexium is expensive but worth not having espoghus rot from the acid. Also Prilosec can be bought over the counter and is the generic form of nexium. I take 1 40 mg. of nexium in morning and 2 prilosec in evening. You can get a nexium discount card from your physiician as it is very costly.

Digestive enzymes! Cheap with no side effects!

My father has barretts related cancer due to acid reflux. To suggest that Digestive enzymes is the answer is potentially dangerous. I would suggest anyone who has GERD to speak with a doctor. The life you save maybe your own.

Digestive enzymes are in fact, one of the safest and most effective methods of controlling or eliminating acid reflux. When left uncontrolled, more serious conditions such as the cancer mentioned above can occur. In my field, I do work with people who have been recommended BY DOCTORS to take enzymes. (Some of the more educated doctors, I might add.)

You can of course consult a doctor, but pharmaceuticals are by no means a replacement for good natural nutrition. Pharmaceuticals always come with a host of side effects and often only cover up the symptoms, rather than fix the problem.

As a matter of fact, one drug used for acid reflux was just on tv recently for causing tardive dyskinesia, which is a debilitating disease that causes uncontrollable bodily movements and twitches.

Have a medical check up again with your doctor to evaluate progress of the health condition. Avoid taking caffeinated drinks and fatty foods which can aggravate acid reflux. 

In the mean time you could try natural remedies like drinking alo vera juice daily or chewing sugar free gum after having food,these substances control the acids.

I've had this for many years and for the last 10 years or more I have not. Several things you have to do because there is not any medicine that will solve the problem. That acid from your stomach is eroding your esophagus and when that happens your esophagus lining thickens due to your body trying to repair it. This causes an obstruction that causes food to be lodged in your throat. First off when I say NEVER take it seriously because if you don't it can lead to cancer of the esophagus. Never eat heavy meals at night then lay down. Actually, never eat close to bed time period. Find out and get rid of all foods that causes you heart burn, acid indigestion, severe or chronic gas pains. These foods are not complimentary to YOUR specific biochemistry. People try to force their body to accept foods that doesn't agree with it with Tums, Beano, Zantac, Prilosec, etc. Those foods still causes damage in your gastrointestinal tract even if the medicine doesn't allow you to feel it. I never took medicine for this problem and it became much worst than yours. I did get a throat widening procedure but that really didn't do much. The sooner you start working on yourself the quicker you can start the healing process.