I quit smoking two weeks and a day ago. I feel OK, and I am definitely not ready to give up the fight, but it is a fight all right, almost every day. I have been thinking of buying some nicotine patches to make sure that I have something to use when the going gets tough and I feel tempted to light up. Do you think this is a good idea? Do nicotine patches have any side effects?

I have heard that nicotine patches can cause heart palpitations and high blood pressure, but that is because there is nicotine in there. Any of the "side effects" of nicotine patches will be worse when you actually smoke. Mind you, if you become addicted to the nicotine patches instead of to the cigarettes, I am not sure if that is any better.

Nicotine patches are healthier than nicotine smoking, or should I say, less bad for you, that much is clear. One side effect the patches can cause that smoking doesn't is a skin rash on the site where you apply the nicotine patch. It is also possible to experience itching because of nicotine patches. 

The main side effect compared to cold turkey quitting is that you are prolonging your addiction, though. At this time frame, you're already through the worst of your withdrawal. If you introduce nicotine patches now, you are essentially reintroducing nicotine addiction. You don't really want to do that. It's not back to square one exactly, but nearly. 

Better addicted to nicotine patches or nicotine gum. No question in my mind.

I'm trying to quit a 20 year habit myself and it's been a struggle. My doctor told me last month that she has a patient who's been chewing nicotine gum for almost a decade and it's absolutely encouraged over cigarettes.

I use the patch and occasionally gum. It won't address the nicotine addiction as it's just a replacement but it'll help you avoid cigarettes until you get used to not having the HABIT, then you can work on reducing the nicotine (if you want to do it in steps versus cold turkey).

Re reactions to the patch - heart palpitations might happen but that's true for cigarettes too :-) Some people are allergic to the adhesive (I am) so the skin might get red/sore, in which case you can try a different brand.

Nicotine gum's a good alternative too if you need a quick fix for the cravings. It also addresses the oral fixation since you're chewing it.

Good luck and hang in there, hamel972! If you're into week two then you're doing a great job. I always think the beginning is hardest. See if you can continue without reintroducing nicotine into your system as you've already gotten through two weeks but if it's a choice of lighting up or patch/gum then do what you need to do.

Stay quit! I have cut my patches smaller ti have some nicotine. Then made them smaller again.You are not getting all the chemicalls! Suzy

Hi all...I was a smoker for 29 years...As most of you know the quiting process is rough to say the least. I had what the doctor refered to as mini stroke...It lasted for about 2 hours I was numb on my left side and my vision was distorted...It scared me to death. The neurologist asked me if I was going to pay attention to what my body had told me and asked me what I could change in my lifestyle. Of course, I knew he wanted me to say I'll quit smoking and I did but didn't mean it. I smoked for about 10 more days. And then I realized either I would be paralyzed the next time it wouldn't be so easy. I started on the Patch 23 days and I'm taking 1 day at a time. Everyday is a challenge...I was very very hard to live with the 1rst week, it gets better everyday. Good luck to all; and don't go down without a fight.

what a good idea i am at the end of the nicoteen patch session on the lower dose and was wondering whether i would still be able to use them this is a great idea as it will only be a 5 gram dose instead of the 10 will it ?