Hi, folks. I am 44 years old and I am aware that menopause is approaching. I am thinking about hormone replacement therapy, but I am not sure. I think I do not have enough info for making a proper decision. What are the side effects of hrt treatment? I would appreciate if someone could reply.

Hello, there. In last few decades, hrt treatment has become quite spread. I think that side effects are not so spread, but they are possible. Nausea and water retention are some of them. Some women complain on breast tenderness and even weight gain. These are minor side effects which settle down in the first months of HRT. However, there is some increased risk for developing breast, ovarian or endometrial cancer. Thrombosis in veins and even heart attack are more possible than in women who are not on HRT. Dementia is also mentioned. In order to diminish these risks, HRT is only prescribed for 1-3 years. You should discuss about all this with a professional.