Hello, good people. My wife is in her 8th months of pregnancy and she would like to give labor with epidural. I am not sure that this is a good idea. We don’t know anything about this form of anesthesia. What are the side effects of epidural? I would be more than grateful if you could share your info with me.

Hi, there. I understand your concern. Sometimes epidural really helps with labor. However, sometimes it can really show some side effects. When we talk about maternal risks, I am talking about hypotension, urinary retention and postpartal bladder dysfunction, nausea and vomitin. Sometimes spinal headache is also possible. Sometimes baby can also experience side effects. His/her heart rate can be abnormal. He/she can have muscle weakness and feel drowsy. Epidural can affect the process of labor and can make it longer. You should discuss about all this with your obstetrician. Congratulations!