Hello! My daughter who is living abroad has recently started a macrobiotic diet. I have found out about it only yesterday and I am not sure if she made the right decision. I know that macrobiotic diet helps people who have cancer or some other illness but I am not sure that it can help young and healthy girls much. So most of all I wish to know if it can harm her. Are there any side effects of strict adherence to macrobiotics?

Hi! I don’t know what kind of macrobiotic diet she is on. The strictest possible is based solely on brown rice and it is not recommended start with it before first preparing your body by gradually dismissing the old habits. But don’t be too upset- there are no negative side effects associated with a macrobiotic diet in adults even when taken to its most extreme. Usually only minor problems appear such as dizziness in some people who experience rapid weight loss. Yet, do talk to her and advise her to consult someone who knows more about macrobiotics on how to avoid any possible problems that maybe can occur during her diet.

Hello! I totally disagree with you! Macrobiotics can have serious side effects. Weight lost is one of them. In people who have cancer it leads to cachexia. The macrobiotic diet also does not contain many fruits and vegetables that are important sources of nutrients and antioxidants, such as vitamin C and beta carotene. If followed inflexibly, the diet can also be lacking in protein, calcium, vitamin B12, folate, and iron. I don’t know how old your daughter is but maybe this can help you: children, pregnant women, and persons with intestinal disorders, high blood pressure, kidney disease, or malnutrition should not start this kind of diet.