Hello! Two weeks ago I started a macrobiotic diet program together with two of my best friends. Since the change of the life style was a bit overwhelming for me I also started using some vitamin supplements to help me through the transition period. When my friend saw me take them she said that she read that all the vitamin supplements are forbidden during a macrobiotic diet. Why vitamin and mineral supplements are not recommended in the macrobiotic?

Hello! Macrobiotics is based on natural, unprocessed food which is reach in all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. If you take the supplements on the top of that you might get too much of them into your system and your kidneys will not be able to process them which will create disbalance in your body and harm you rather than help you.

Hi! I do agree that macrobiotic diet can provide you with all the vitamins and minerals and nutritiens you need but only if you do it “by book”, as they say. This means that you should have a diet program which is made especially for you, your body and your physical and mental needs. If you and your friends simply invented your own macrobiotic diet you might not be getting enough of everything your body needs, and supplements can in this case be good for you. You should, though, seek advice from some expert in macrobiotics who can help you in choosing the best dietary program for you.