Hi, folks. My sister in law is diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Her endocrinologist thinks that it is time to introduce medications to her treatment. He says that she will have to take levothyroxine. I don’t know much about this drug, but I will rather find out something more. Can anyone tell me the side effects?

Prolems with thyroid gland are not as rare as people think. Hypothyroidism is caused by the lack of thyroid hormones. In the beginning, medications are not necessary. However, later usually substitution therapy is necessary. Levothyroxin can show some side effects. Palpitations, nervousness and anxiety are some of them. Some people complain on insomnia, swelling of ankles and legs. Some people report breathing problems as well. I hope this helps. Bye!

I have been on levothyroxin for over 3 years now since I had my thyroid removed for graves disease which in turn makes you hypothyroid after surgery. The only time I experience any side effects is if I'm over medicated with it. Gives me heart palpatations, nervousness a general shortness of breath but it's cause the meds can make you hyperthyroid if you have to much of this medication in your system. Regular (6 months-1 yr) blood work is suggested after the initial first phase of meds are given to regulate the thyroid.

Everyone says there are no side effects to synthroid/levothyroxine and so I started out at .25mcg and in the last 2 months my Doc increased the dosage to .50. I started experiencing bouts of extreme tiredness along with balance problems (the first time was last May and I was so freaked out I called 911 and went to the emergency room to which they could not find a cause). It happens only in the AM and intermittently, and if I lie down and rest for an hour I'm fine for the rest of the day. I'm going to start taking it before bed and see it the problem goes away but I do wonder if anyone else has experienced this same symptom.