I'm 18 years old and I started the nuvaring about three weeks ago. The first week was fine, but after 7 days went by and I spent a night with my boyfriend, I began experiencing a lot of discomfort. It started with a little bit of spotting after sex, and then I started to see thick, white discharge in my underwear every day. My doctor was away on vacation for a while, so I made an appointment with him for just yesterday, 2 weeks and 5 days after inserting the ring.

Anyway, after another week passed by, I started getting blood spotting. I'd heard this was normal so I didn't think much of it, but it started getting worse as the days went by. I had my doctor's appointment yesterday and he decided I had a yeast infection and I should pick up some over the counter treatment for it. He told me he doesn't believe it has anything to do with the nuvaring, and I agreed to try one more month.

Last night, after playing sports in a field with some friends, I came home and my underwear looked as if my period had actually started. I was worried, because I'm 95% sure I counted the weeks right, and I shouldn't even be taking the ring out until two days after this. The yeast infection treatment kit I had bought had vaginal pills to use overnight, so I inserted the first of those and slept. I woke up with quite a bit of light pink spotting in my underwear. It had been darker up until now, so I panicked and took out the nuvaring a day early.

I hadn't mentioned the spotting to my doctor because at the time of the appointment, it didn't seem like anything odd. Hopefully I'll have a normal period this week, and I'll insert a new nuvaring next Wednesday. However, I'm concerned that this is something that isn't meant to occur. I read a few discussions on this site, and most of the spotting problems occurred after a few months of nuvaring use. I'd just like to get some opinions as to whether this is a normal symptom or if I should be seeing my doctor once more, ASAP? Thanks for your help in advance.