Hello I've had swollen taste buds for close to a year now. They form like a v-shape in the back of my tongue. They are always red. Mostly they dont hurt but once in a while they feel very sore. I have braces and use rubber bands and so i dont know if its somekind of allergic reaction. I also had surgery before i got the braces when they had to take out 2 wisdom teeth and a tooth that was surgically removed in bits. I went to the local clinic and they just said i had swollen taste buds. Thanks for any responses.

I've got the same thing except that they cover most of my tongue & are very painful.  My doctor is clueless.  Does anyone have any idea what could cause this & what to do about it?

Sounds like meth mouth.

Actually, I've discovered the problem is some kind of allergy. The problem went away when I started taking antihistamines.