Hi a few days ago I noticed a swollen white taste bud on the tip of my tongue I assumed I must of bit it or burnt it on spicy wings. The strange thing though was that the next day I had about six of them in my mouth. Can irritated taste buds take a while to show symptoms or do I have something more serious?

I have the same problem!! it is extremely annoying, and now i have about 10 or so of them all in one litle spot on the end of my tounge. What is it?

me too! tiny sore bumps on the tip and sides of tongue. never did I think something so small and relatively inconspicuous could hurt so much... any ideas folks? - this sucks! >:(

Hi everyone!

I have what you are talking about RIGHT NOW. I get them from time to time. They can be very painful and usually only last a few days to a week. Do NOT bite them! The temptation can be tough but just don't. Avoid foods that irritate in general (i.e. - acidic, spicy, overly sour, too hot/cold) and stay away from tobacco and alcohol. Use warm salt water to rinse with or Listerene at night. To help with the pain, I have found that Chloroseptic (just a few sprays) or Ambesol helps a ton.
When I get them they appear to be red and small or large and white. No one else would EVER notice them but they are very obvious to me. I have actually popped one like a pimple before...very bad idea. Hurt like all living hell. Don't ask why I would have done that. I was at wit's end maybe.

But like I said, mouthwash and salt water....mild oral pain killers and avoid irritants.

If anyone would like to talk about this just email me _[removed]_

Take care!

Charlie

My father, mother, sister and myself all have this problem. For us, it is caused from eating too much salty foods according to our doctor.

Ok when i get them i just pull them off which hurts a bit but they come off easily and feel 100% better afterwards, they should come off very easily though like a small tug using your finger nails, if it is too hard or too painful to pull them off they are not ready yet so try again the next day

I have problem also. What usually works with me is to rinse the mouth with 1 part water, 1 part hydrogen peroxide. Also, do not scratch on teeth, for this just increases the pain and the urge to scratch on the teeth again. If you ignore it, eventually the pain will go away. And with the peroxide, it will take a few days for the bumps to go away.

Charlie's remedies above might work well for some, but when I've gotten them it was for no real reason at all. I resorted to buying a pair of special nail clippers and just cutting them off. It honestly bleeds for about two seconds and it's not a quarter as painful as letting it stay swollen and waiting for it to go down.

This happens to me every once in a while too. I get them along the sides of my tongue, towards the end. They hurt so bad!! I think it's from cinnamon gum. I don't chew it very often, but it seems like if I do for a day or two, this happens. I don't think I'm going to chew it again any time soon.

Nail clippers???? Dude! Why don't you just tell them to strap a fire cracker to their tongue and blow that sucker off.

Don't listen to these rocket scientists that are telling you to cut or pull them off. This is your tongue we are talking about. It will bleed significantly and it will hurt... if you cut or pull it off. Go see an oral pathologist before doing anything to remove one of these.

I have had these very bad for the past couple of days. Anbesol helps a ton, but today I was fed up and stuck my tongue out... gently with tweazers I found that specific bumps out of the group were the ones that hurt. I pulled on them GENTLY and it seemed to numb them the pain somehow. I'd really like to know what they're from. Could be too much salt irritating the tongue, because the day before they appeared I was eating sunflower seeds!

YES. Cutting off the little swollen bud with a nail clipper is safe. It will hurt for just a second, but all worth not having the nagging pain of not doing anything about it. I've done it many times.

Here is what I did when this happen to me and LISTEN to me when I say this: CUTTING, PULLING & PEROXIDE are the biggest NO NO's when it comes to swollen, red, white, itchy, painful taste buds. Doing the NO NO's will only cause them to keep coming back and maybe an infection (MS/MR nail clippers) Gargling with salt water and soft/mild mouthwash will do just fine until you schedule yourself a DOCTOR APPOINTMENT.

Listen, I know we all want to find a quick remedy to heal us from whatever pain where having but guys seriously irritated taste buds can be anything from a tongue bite to some kind of cancer. So before you go clipping and pulling away at your taste buds ask yourself do you really want to take the chance of ignoring the first sign of what could be cancer.

Sorry to be so serious, I just dont want you to make the same mistake I did of thinking "they are only taste buds." So, please see you doctor/oral hygienist. God Bless

well i also cut them off when i get them. but i us tetracain or benzocain to numb the area first. then i take normal nail clippers and clip it off. sometimes you really have to sneeze the clippers to get the tissue to release but it dose not hurt, well very little anyway. it bleeds for a few seconds then stops.
then there is no pain anymore no bump in your mouth, no pain when you are trying to talk because of some stupid taste bud.
but i warn you before you do this i do not no if this could permanently damage your tongue or not, i am still researching this.
one more thing be careful not to cut your tongue by accident.
good luck
RANCOR :-S

yes please dont cut or pull them off...i used to try that when i was younger and its not a special taste bud growth you're removing, its just an irritated bud from salty or spicy food. just leave it alone for a few days and you'll be fine