Lately I have been experiencing some strange sensations in my tongue so I went to my doctor. He told me that my taste buds are swollen. I have to say that I don’t know anything about this so I would appreciate any information. Thanks

It is good that you vent to your doctor to see what was going on with you. A lot of us ignore some conditions thinking that they will go away on its own. I will try to explain to you what you want to know. A swollen taste bud can be caused by a number of things and this is why it is smart to seek professional help. Very hot food that burns and irritates a taste bud can cause swelling as well as allergies to specific foods. Salt taste buds are in the two side areas of the tongue tip and the ones that taste sweets are located on the tip of the tongue. Sour taste buds are situated on the lateral sides of the tongue and bitter ones on the back. You can know which taste is involved by the area of the tongue where the swollen taste bud is located. A swollen taste bud can occur from continually eating spicy foods. This happens because of constant overstimulate of the sense organs. One other possible cause of taste bud swelling is trauma from biting the tongue.