I am having something strange happening with my taste buds. I have suddenly stopped being able to taste anything sweet. It has changed the flavor of everthing I eat and it is terrible. I don't even taste the sweetness of fruit. For instance a bannana taste like a mushy blob with absolutely no flavor. However, I am still able to smell it. I don't smoke at all or do drugs. I just recently did a house painting project where I cleaned a lot of paint up with paint cleaner. I had windows open and fans blowing. This is the only thing I did different out of the ordinary. It has been a week now and It seems to be getting worse. Has anyone had this experience or heard of this happening? I am desparate for an answer.

i am going thrugh the same thing to. it has been seven days and i have not been able to really tast anything. my smell is fine. most people have been telling me i have a cold but i have felt fine the whole week. i am geting a little worried now because it has not been getting better. i will be going to the doctor next week so if you want to get intouch with me via email i can let you know if i came up with anything.

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

Like the first person and the first responder, I too have had similar taste problems, except mine have existed now for more than two years !!

I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm repaired surgically in 2004. I could taste everything normally for about a week. Then I lost all sense of taste except for things that tasted BITTER. I could not taste SWEET or SOUR or SALT, and the flavor (is this what the scientists are calling "umami?") of most foods was best characterized as "bitter and acrid." Like the first two individuals, I too could smell. My sense of smell was NOT impaired, but I had this almost total loss of taste. In 2005 I was hospitalized with pneumonia, followed by an erratic heart beat, occasional atrial fibrilation, and the implantation of a heart pacemaker.

The taste problem continued unabated, and the medical community thus far has failed to offer anything in the way of a confident diagnosis, treatment, therapy, or prognosis of possible recovery. I have even consulted some young researchers who have on-going work in the taste area, but they offer no help, only the possibility that I may have suffered some sort of "stroke" in which the communication lines between tongue and brain were affected adversely, resulting in a distorted taste.

I have tried adding zinc, Vitamin B-12, without any improvement in taste.
I am now taking glyonutrients (presumably 8 different water-soluble glucose-like substances), so far without much if any discernible change in taste.

If anyone out there has anything to offer in the way of a possible treatment for this condition, please post it. And thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

I had the same (and still do) problem after a tonsillectomy. One thing that has helped bring back my *sweet* taste is the medicine neurotin. I was started on it for some back pain and it has helped my sense of taste a lot. I still can't eat bananas and many sweets but tasted oranges this Christmas and loved them again.

I am having the same probelm and it is driving me nuts!!! Are you guys now able to taste sweet again?

Guest wrote:

Mart5fam wrote:

I've been reading a lot of posts about the same problem I have but no solutions. Has anyone found a solution or real cause ? I can't taste sweet or sour, just bitter and a tinny taste. All food tastes bad to me and it's breaking my heart because I love food and I'm a good cook. I enjoy eating but not now and I can't stand the taste of my own mouth even when I'm not eating. I have no sores, no burning and my tongue looks fine. There is nothing visibly wrong except that I've lost my taste buds and want to get them back. How ???????? Thanks.

Me too! I had a compete hysterectomy 9 weeks age. All was fine until
about three weeks ago. I am not able to taste anything. Salty, sweet,
it does not matter. I am starting to get worried. Can anybody tell me what to do?

I also am having this problem. I recently was using Splenda. I have been on a diet and I was eating a lot of old fashion oatmeal with an increasing amount of Splenda. My wife was in a vitamin store and saw this bottle of "will power" which made you loss your taste for sweets and the ingredients are the same as artificial sugars. This made me feel that this is a link. Is anyone using artificial sweeteners? %-)

I have the same problem. Started last night. I do eat a lot of Splenda and fake sugars, and recently started eating real fruit smoothies. Then last night, I couldn't taste the sweet anymore. Everything tastes terrible. If anyone has any solutions, let me know. I just had mexican food and it was fine, so apparently it's just the sweet that's gone.

I've been having the same exact problem for almost three weeks. I can smell just fine but I can't taste anything sweet and other things just taste very bland. It's driving me crazy! I went to the doctor and he had found that I had an inner ear infection so I took a course of antibiotics. But I still can't taste. Has anyone lost their taste like this but then fully recovered it? The thought of never being able to taste sweet things again is making me very depressed.

I am having the same problem of not able to taste the sweet for the past three weeks.My smelling ability is ok.I have not undergone any operation and my general health is perfect. My B12 level is low and Doctor advised me for B12 injection for a week .I have read that low level of B12 & ZINC will impare with taste sensation.I am also looking for some solution .

I have the problem too. I have had a cold now for 3 weeks and cannot taste sweet. I thought maybe it has something to do with congestion and digestion? I do drink diet soda, but I don't see the link. My doctor told me it from the "drip" on the back of my throat that is coating the rear part of my tongue. I started taking allergy meds to see if that helps.

I had a brief bout of flu at the beginning of the year and about 4 days later completely lost my sense of sweet. I can smell clearly and taste bitter, salty, sour and umami. I have asked two doctors for advice and neither has been of any help at all.
Someone out there must have looked into this before but I have been unable to get any information.
Any help appreciated.

^^ I was in about the same predicament. I was sick for about a half of a week and then a couple days later I stopped being able to taste things. Everything is now bland. I am 18, and have never had this feeling before. It kinda sucks. can someone tell me what is going on.

At one time, my taste buds could not taste anything sweet.

This happened to me in 2003 and it lasted 4 or 5 months. I had no sweet tastes and I was not sick or had a cold. I went to my family physician for a checkup and I was passed healthy. The doctor just said wait for a while and it probably will come back.

I was disappointed. I did not taste anything sweet with real sugar, honey, or fruit sugars. It was interesting that if I tasted sugar substitute like Spenda or artificial sugars, it did taste sweet.

I suspect there are 3 of us on this forum that had similar symptoms... The others should not be confused with us. They have had cold/sickness or an operation that probably caused their problems. Or, they had chemical/drug after affects. I had no taste of sweetness whether I was sick or healthy. This was not due to any allergic reaction or cold. How could I be sick with a stuffy nose for 4 months ! No.

During my the period of my tasting problems, I could not taste sweet of cola or soft drinks. They tasted like carbonated mineral water. I could not taste the sugars in chocolates. Sad! My worse day was during Thanksgiving when nothing with sugar tasted good. I can taste sour and salt normally during this time. My sense of smell was normal.
I could not taste sweet fruits.
I could not taste sweet juices.
It was like any natural sweet flavors was gone.

In time, the problem went away, thank goodness. Reminder, my other taste buds were working fine! I do not know what caused this problem and my doctor did nothing but speculate. Again, I want to underline that people who are healthy and not with colds can lose the sweet sense for months at a time.

Take care and I hope no one loses their tastes. It was not fun.