Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy I found this website. I've been all over the Internet to find out what's wrong with me. I've had a very bad salty taste in my mouth for 3 weeks now and I can't get rid of it. My symptoms started when my doctor started me on Viotorin and Crestor. I stopped taking them because I had an allergic reation to the Viotorin - my lips swelled up, my throat was raw, my cheeks and tongue were full of sores like ulcers (which have now subsided) and I lost my taste buds and then the saltiness in my mouth started. I quit taking the Statins a couple of weeks ago and I drink only 2 cups of coffee a day, no smoking and I drink lots of water every day as I'm a customer service rep and I have to drink alot of water. Now, my water is heavy salt water. I'm so frustrated I just want to taste clear cold water again. I've never experienced this before in my life. If any of you or if a healthcare professional is reading this, please let me know what I can do to get rid of this.

Thank you

Here is what I posted on another thread devoted to salty taste. It sounds like your salty taste could be a result of the bad drug reaction, and will just take time to resolve.

Friends: My salty mouth situation started about a month ago. After an internet search as frustrating as everyone else's I consulted an ear, nose, and throat specialist. The doctor had me tested for vitamin deficiencies (normal), and sent me for a cat scan to rule out cerebro-spinal fluid leaking into my sinuses (yipe!, but negative). His conclusion was that I had irritated my tongue, and hence my salt-detecting taste buds, by an overuse of strong breath mints. He said the condition would persist until my body created new taste buds, a matter of three to six months. In the meantime he told me to take care of my tongue by avoiding minty, spicy, hot, or acid food. He also told me to switch to non-minty toothpaste and to gargle and rinse with non-alcohol mouthwash twice a day. Toms of Maine makes non-alcohol mouthwash, as do other companies--check the health food store. I've been following this plan for a week, and while I still have the taste it doesn't spike after meals as it used to, and my mouth is much calmer.
Hope this helps.

i am so frustrated with this salty taste,i went to the emergency room my head was killing me and my sinuses so we discussed sinus infection. i am prone to sinus infections and have allergies, i was put on an antibiotic, it has been about 5 weeks now and i still feel week and have diarehia it is hard to eat because of the salty taste, but i am drinking all the liquids i can. i am really starting to get worried.

I am also having the same problem. stopped taking antibiotics and I have a very very salty taste in my mouth. BUT I also found out that when I'm hungry it gets worse.