I have problem that makes me very embarrassed. I realized I have sore and swollen tongue. Since I have never had it before, and I have never heard someone had it, I am worried. I cannot stop thinking it could be something serious. Could you give me any info or say anything about sore and swollen tongue?

Tongue problems include soreness, enlargement, or irregularities of the tongue, such as any other strange symptom. Tongue problems may include pain, hairy appearance, unusual color, unusual smoothness, and swelling. Common are mouth ulcers, white lining, a split or groove in the tongue, cobblestone appearance, or positioning off to one side. To explain anything, you have to know the tongue is mainly composed of muscles. It is covered with a mucous membrane, and small bumps called papillae, cover the upper surface of the tongue. Between the papillae are the taste buds, which provide the sense of taste we all have. In addition to taste, the tongue functions in moving food to aid chewing and swallowing, and beside this, it is important in speech. Changes in appearance of the tongue may indicate a primary tongue disorder or may be a symptom of some other disorders, so it should be checked by your doctor. Minor infections or irritations are the most common cause of tongue soreness, so I believe this could be in your case with sore and swollen tongue. That is why I would suggest you to have doctor’s exam, just in case, to check if that is nothing serious is happening with your tongue.