Dear Doctor (s),

I am having this bizarre situation where my taste buds have gone on a vacation suddenly and i have lost all perception or sense of sweet or salt taste. Food seems absolutely bland. However i can feel / sense foods that are cold / hot and i feel the spice in food if the food is pungent or spicy. Also, my sense of smell is intact and sharp as ever. The feeling therefore is quite paradoxical. I can smell but cannot taste. Even in taste i can sense spice but not sweet or salty. Even there the peculiar part is that i can feel the taste at the back of my tongue, only the front or tip part of my tongue is affected.

PL HELLLLLLPPPPP ... AS I AM FEELING PRETTY SICK OF THE WHOLE THING ... !!!!!!

did u ever get ur taste back or find out what was wrong. i am curious as i am having the same symptoms. cant seem to find anything on the web as to what a cause may be..

I have just recently started having the same problem.  At least I know that it is not unique.  Did you find out what causes it?  Is there a solution?  Please reply.  Also, have not found info related to just this.  Thank You

Have either of you had any injury to your tongue? I have the same issue that has lasted a bit over a year now. Mine is caused from getting my tongue pierced and Im assuming they nicked a nerve. For me unfortunantly I dont ever think I will have the front taste buds again.

I am experiencing Identical sensations. This started about 3 weeks ago. Your description is a mirror image of what i am going through. i would appreciate any information you come across.

I somewhat laugh at this as i have had this issue for 14 days now & im wondering if it will end. I've not seen a Dr but based on my web searches don't think it'll help. Like sabir i smell ok but the front / middle of my tongue is on vacation. I sprinkled salt on my tongue.....and nothin! Sugar, same thing. Hopping it goes away quick. I've had no injury or allergies im aware of.

Mr steelerman it has once occur to me, it means your hormone system is strong but you are having an acute fever give yourself rest and treat the fever u"ll be ok
Best regard.

Does anyone have a reply? I have the exact same symptoms except that my taste to salt and sweet have 100% left the back of my tongue and about 20% remains on the front. Started all of a sudden and then progressed to the way it is now in about 3 days. Only thing that tastes normal is green olives. Bitter I guess.

Q. Does any of you have post nasal drip or sinus concerns. I have had this problem been to dr a few times and he said sinus . The last time I had it, few months ago it lasted 4 weeks. This time it's up to week 3.  Last occurrence I treated it with sudafed and steamed to clear my head. I have not been sick with any flu or cold. It can also be a lack of zinc in body. I'm going back to dr to get a scan on sinus to see if there is a y answers there. Hope i can taste before Xmas day. 

I am having these same symtoms as well it's been a week and it is driving me nuts.  Although nothing has taste-even water is different. I still have hot/cold and spicy in the back of my mouth. Please anyone that has found out why plese reply.  Thanks.

I, too, am experiencing the exact symptoms described in the original post, affecting the front half of my tongue.  Minimal sweet, no salty, and a slight persistent burning sensation.  Food tastes like the color grey...  it's only been a few days, and began out of the blue.  I was just in the ocean, and the seawater tasted like freshwater..... curious, indeed.

Same here but mine's been going on 5 months.  The bonus is I've lost close to 20 lbs because my downfall (salty foods like potato chips & crackers, bacon, etc.) taste like crunchy cardboard.  I'm female, 61 years, in realtively good health and mentioned it to my doctor and the gastro-doc who will be doing my upcoming routine colonoscopy... neither were all that concerned.  It did seem to occur right after I got over a mild cold.

I have not been able to taste sweet or salty for nearly 10 years.  I had radiation for hodgkin's 27 years ago.  I always thought it was the radiation, but I never heard of anyone with this effect.  Maybe it is not the radiation.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on this topic as it is a problem I have had since taking a form of chemotherapy for an undefinable autoimmune disease causing major joint damage and excruciating pain. In my research, I came across an article published on a website for medical papers that was a case study of a woman with BMS (Burning Mouth Syndrome) in which she tested positive for a HIGH Herpes Simplex 1 viral count in her saliva. Herpes Simplex 1 is the virus responsible for common cold sores. She was treated with an oral antiviral medication and was symptom free within 5 days!! With daily maintenance treatment, she remained symptom free at 6 months!! It's worth a try for me! I've had symptoms ongoing now for a year and a half!! I'm ready to try ANYTHING!! Google or do a Web Search for Burning Mouth Syndrome and Herpes Simplex 1 virus (HSV-1) and good luck to everyone!

has anyone found anything out? last night I was eating crunchy peanut butter on a banana and realized I couldn't taste it. also that the tip of my tongue couldn't feel anything. so I experimented and ate a drumstick ice cream cone. I couldn't taste it at all. this makes me sad because eating is my favorite thing in the world! I haven't done anything different in the past twenty-four hours.