I am having this bizarre situation where my taste buds have gone on a vacation suddenly and i have lost all perception or sense of salt taste. Food seems absolutely bland. However i can feel / sense foods that are cold / hot and i feel the spice in food if the food is pungent or spicy. Also, my sense of smell is intact and sharp as ever. The feeling therefore is quite paradoxical. I can smell but cannot taste salt. Even in taste i can sense spice but not salt. Even there the peculiar part is that i can feel the taste of salt when I drink salty water but cannot test salt while having food items. I am not able to taste salt at the back of my tongue.
 I have consulted ENT, then MD physician and last Nuro physician Dr he also could not diagnosis the problem and ask me to watch 10 to 15 days then decide the course of treatment.
But my food habits have not changed and intake is same, and I could not use more salt in my food as I have BP problem.
I have also referred on internet but could not find solution and reasons for loss of salt test.
Can you pl help and advice me on this matter.    

I have learned it's a lack of vitamin b12 and/or zinc.  Am trying now to see if the answer is correct but has been around for generations.

I can not taste sweet or salt on the back of my tongue and most of the front. Starte all at once and progressed to 90% gone in 3 days.