HI,
I have been having these waves of a noxious taste/smell in my throat and sinus for the past few days. They come in waves, not coming from my stomach, like in a belch, but from the back of my throat. I am wondering what this could be, if it is something that I ate, bacteria, or what. My boyfriend says my breath smells like I have been smoking. I quit over 3 years ago.
Has anyone had anything like this?
Thanks in advance of any help or direction I can be pointed in.

Well,

I know that taste buds can cause problems with taste in many ways but to be honest with you this is the first time I have heard that someone has a taste of tar in their throat and mouth.  This is usually caused by some bacteria on your tongue, because most of your taste buds in the mouth are located on your tongue. Have you had any problems with the sinuses prior to this condition of yours? You could try to take some antibiotics to get rid of the infection that might be causing your problem with taste buds. Do you drink enough of water when you eat? You have to drink at least 2 liters per day.

Good luck,

Karel

shinmt,

what happened ? did it resolve or do you still smell/taste it ? I have been having an unusual, noxious/chemical taste/smell that is hard for me to describe. Your description of a tar-like taste coming from in your throat is the closest i have found online to what i am experiencing. I first encountered the smell in a bowl of ramen i had ordered home from a restaurant. I started eating but did not finish because of the smell, and perhaps the taste was also off. I had ordered the food to share with a friend of mine, and he also noted the smell. He has not expressed any persisting smell or issues. I imagine that i may have introduced some kind of microbial culture to my system, and that my tobacco-smoking maybe left my airways and/or throat-area more susceptible to "invasion" or colonization. I encountered the taste one time thereafter in food; in a certain stick of butter. The ramen that we ordered actually had butter as an ingredient. The taste is hard for me to identify, but i feel like it is somehow like formaldehyde and/or some other clinical/chemical smell, and sort of like "Uni" sea urchin.

hey ! I am 27 years old living in California. I would describe my symptoms just as yours. I still smoke, daily, but always a mixture of organic cannabis and tobacco. This smell/taste has appeared for me in the last two years or so. Its kind of tar-like, but also clinical like band-aids. After researching online i found that Cresols often have this kind of odor. I will say that before I noticed the smell in my own throat, i first encountered it in a bowl of Ramen that i ordered from a local restaurant. Corn-butter Ramen. it had this smell. my friend and i were reluctant to eat it, but took a few bites, then threw it away. This smell/taste has emerged in me since that instance. So i have suspected that i introduced some kind of culture maybe that has taken up residence in my throat (maybe even airways/lungs). I am otherwise healthy, and recent physical exam + bloodwork revealed nothing noteworthy. I know this smell is not native though, or at least a sign something is off. please share if you have similar experience. and Angelica please let me know if you resolved this or have any leads. thanks!

That tar taste and smell comes from either Lactobacillus or Strept, both working together to decay your teeth and gums. Also, Lactobacillus is a probiotic in your gut, but a piggyback (on top of Strept) in your mouth.

I am having the same problem for the last two weeks and from my throat the same what you explain it and I don't know where it is. and I am a smoker and I've been smoking for the last 20 years on this the first time I'm having this problem. Thank you.