I've been a small person most of my life (115-120#)& like some I have a throid problem now & have taken both Synthroid & generic Levothyroxin for over 5 yrs, would like to know if there is a better medicine to help this weight gain, now up to 162# and now have high bloodpressure and taking meds for that. Doctor says the weight should come off, but nothing seems to effect it. the weight and the bloodpressure keep me tired. Any thoughts- Please ! S.Ochoa

try out armour porcine thyroid it has help my friend out

Did you try to discuss about this matter with your doctor? If you want to lose some weight you can try adjusting your nutrition a little bit although this is very hard when you are drinking medications such as Synthroid and generic Levothyroxin. You can try to avoid sweets and all junk food and fatty food if you are consuming it and of course you must stop eating snacks and late at night. Around 8 pm should be your last meal and try to avoid your refrigerator after that.

Also, include fruits and vegetables in your nutrition and increase intake of water. All this should be helpful to lose some weight and make you less tired and sleepy.

I have always eaten well and have worked out HARD. Still I gain weight - the bloated stomach, the fatty back and the muffin top in the back that I NEVER had before taking this medication. I'm sick of being told to watch what I eat and get some exercise. I have always done both. The one change is taking levothyroxine.

I started taking this drug too .. I have never felt so BLOATED and My stomach looks like I am 8 months pregant/ gained like 15 lbs. in 3 months! I FEEL TERRIBLE ! I never had LOVE HANDLES LIKE I HAVE NOW ! I JUST FEEL LIKE STOPPING THIS DRUG ! Any help !!

Since I started taking synthroid 25mcg within 2 months I was unable to taste my food. The first few spoon or forkfuls I can taste but after that its like eating unflavoured, unsweetened jello! I had to talk my doctor into putting me on something. When he first decided to test my thyroid he told me I was borderline inactive when he got the results back. The numbers were 4.57. After some cajoling he put me on Synthroid 25, the lowest and told me to test my thryroid again in 2 months to see if there is any change. Oh there was, it went up to 4.62! I was hoping it would go down. And my tummy is bigger too!  He keeps telling me it's normal. That it is still working. But not the way it should. After reading about everyone else's problems with the synthroid of any dose and their doctors, it seems to me we need to speak with someone who is into natural meds for our problems. There was a doctor on Merilyn Denis Show who talked about this problem and that doctors should be taking more serious look at thyroids that are heading into the 1 or 2 instead of 5 which means it is Inactive. There is also a book out there written by doctors who now believe in natural medicines that cure us. They are the ones who don't get paid by drug companies to prescribe their drugs which is how doctors get some of their money. Gonna have to find this book and check it out. Anyone remember this book being sold on Paid For Tv infomercials?

Same here and I got a lap band with 2 fills, in other words am eating half as much or less as I used to and havent lost a pound. The stupid doc just looks at me like I'm a freak, refuses to increase my levothyroxin dose, I exercise daily and eat very well and have actually gained 15 pounds since getting the lap band, unbelievalbe, depressed

chloespoodle wrote:

_[removed]_ wrote:

I have heard from a doctor that was on Marilyn Denis Show that some of her patients were complaining about gaining weight over night even though they have been sticking to their diets. She had done some checking with other patients and found that it was not an isolated incident. Upon some research found that those patients had a sensitivity to certain carbs that were literally making them gain 3 to 5 pounds overnight!. Once those garbs were found out and removed from their diet, they continued to feel better and lose weight.. She has a book out on the subject. To find out more go to this website: http://www.marilyn.ca/HealthFitness/segments.aspx and scroll down to: March 27, 2012 The 5 Phases of "The Carb Sensitivity Program" If you are sensitive to certain carbs that could be your problem with weight gain. Good Luck.

I have been on weight watchers for a couple of years and have always maintained my goal weight. I started taking Levothyroxine and starting to slowly gain weight. I never had any hypothyroidism symptoms. I have always had energy and I exercise 4-5 days a week. The only reason I was given these meds is because with my last blood work it looked as if my TSH levels were very low. I also am perimenopausal and I have a suspicion that my hormonal flucuations have caused my TSH levels to show low-I heard that a hormonal imbalance can cause your levels to lower. I'll just have to wait and see and take a blood test again later.

so funny how people without thyroid issues are so quick to say eat better. They are so ignorant in regards to our condition. I live on smoothies and at the gym 3 to 4 times a week and still cannot loose weight. For all you out there that think this is a nutrition issue you are so WRONG! You need to get educated!