How come when I'm on Synthroid I gain weight? I was very thin my entire life. My weight was never a problem untill I started using Synthroid. Is it just me or is this some kind of side-effect of this medication? What is the most important information I should know about Synthroid? Can I use diet pills while taking Synthroid?

Levothyroxine is a hormone produced by your thyroid and it is important for normal energy and metabolism. For many reasons, your body may not produce enough of this hormone on its own and in these cases Synthroid is taken to replace your body's natural thyroid hormone. It is also used to prevent growth or enlargement of the thyroid gland. Synthroid side-effects like tremor, nervousness, insomnia, headache, leg cramps, fever, sweating etc. may be more likely to occure and are not that serious. But if you start experiencing some more seriuos, like an allergic reaction, chest pain, vomiting, shortnes of breath and irregular heartbeat stop taking Synthroid and seek imergency medical attention. Your weight gain is probably a Synthroid side-effect. However, you need to think if your eating habbits have changed. Also, you may not be following a proper diet and your activity level may not be enough to lose weight. It's possible that you have other hormone problems. You need to talk to your doctor, especially if you have gained a lot of weight in short period of time.

This post is for mcein(sorry spelling)about the synthoid and her weight gain, have you changed anything else in your life or taken any other meds which could be responsible for the weight gain? i know you're sick of hearing that by now but i'm just making sure because my case sounds extremely similar to yours and i have been searching for years now for the answer to my weight problems. I, have always been very slim and athletic build when eating any way i wanted and hadly excercising atall and if i did diet and exercise i was very skinny, anyways i have never in 24 of my 28 yrs have a weight problem til last 4 years about. anyways i was seeing an herbalist/nutritionist whom was convinced i had hypothyroidism without doing lab tests and had me take bovine thyroid supplements with iodine in them and also a multivitamin/mineral with adrenals adrenals and glandular support. however, after taking the thyroid herbals at 1/2 dose my heart raced and i was sweaty etc...problems so after about 2.5-3.5 weeks i stopped taking the thyroid herbal, and i didn't really notice the weight gain and at that time i was on a diet too, however, everytime i ate food my stomach would bloat up and gurgle with noises and i thought i was just having eaten too much or having trouble digesting the food, but that couldn't be because i had myself on the same diet since before the herbal pills. Probably over the course of 1.5-2months i went from 115lbs(size3) to 135 and tried everything from starving myself and going to the gym everyday and i didn't lose weight and my stomach was "pot belly", i have always had defined abs even without really exercising. Anyways, finally i gave up starving myself and exercising continuously because it was having no effect and i ate normally and exercised somewhat regularly and my weight kept climbing, over the few years my highest has been 160. Anyways, anytime i do loose a few pounds it is because i exercise excessively or smoke for a length of time while i eat hardly anything however, my stomach still stays distended and sticks out and if it does shrink from not eating alittle, it goes right back to "normal" as soon as i eat any food.i'm tired of trying things and desperate to find an answer, i have always been skinny and had problems with my body image and my acne and this i just cannot handle anymore and need answers, anyone who has information please let me know, or even if you have a similar condition, maybe all of us together can find an answer because there has to be one, i need one.

Hi
After reading the posts from 'mceachin' and 'guest', I felt that i could totally sympathise with your problems.Im 34 yrs old and I have been on Levothyroxine which is very similar to Synthoid for my Hypothyrodism for a year now and have found my weight rapidly increasing also being on Lansoprazole for 6yrs for my Hiartus Hernia which i feel has also increased my weight. I used to be very slim but now am very overweight.After trying every diet under the sun, excercising etc, my tummy has just gone to a 'pot belly' and its so depressing. I even saw a natropath which said i was suffering from candida in my gut which he said leads to weight gain and a swollen tummy.I was then put on an anti candida diet.This was 2 yrs ago when my thyroid was reading nomal. I did lose some weight but after the diet it just went back on. Im trying it again without success probably because it works better on people who are not on any medication.Its literally cutting out any food which is yeast forming ie bread, mushrooms, anything containing sugar or malt (very difficult as most processed foods contain these) although it is possible to find things. The foods are normally organic and non processed. Cows milk and any non organic meat is also excluded. Organic meat and eggs are allowed. Subsequently i've been drinking soya milk but i have since read an article that it can interfer with your thyroid function making it more underactive so im going to try rice milk instead.
I hope some of this info has helped anyone of you.

I also need to ask anyone out there if they have found that Lansoprazole causes weight gain and I've been having a lot of pain in the left side of my stomach extending to my back. An ultrasound didnt show anything and i am being referred back to my consultant soon. I still have acid reflux even on the tablets.Id love to hear from anyone who has similar probs as me that they may have some strong herbal remedy that may help instaewd of these gastly drugs. thanks

I just found these postings and I am amazed by the postings of 'mceachin' and 'guest' and mel J - I am a 35 yr old female who has been on synthriod for 10 years. I under went Hodgkin's Lymphoma treatment - radiation to my chest and neck region and my thyroid was damaged. I too was always a slim to skinny build who ate what ever when ever and NEVER gained weight. In fact there were times I had to struggle to maintain weight - even through college and beyond. Now I have the "classic" pot belly that looks like I am 4 months pregnant and have most recently put on about 10 lbs in the past 6 - 8 months!! I am so glad to hear that it is not just me with this issue.....I am going to call my doc NOW and get an appointment to have my thyriod level checked and see if I can get on a lower dose of synthroid. I'm currently on 100mcg which has slowly risen over the past 10 years from 25mcg were I first started.

Hi
I had an increase in my Levothyroxine to 75mcg and I have a huge tummy like I'm pregnant. I have always been a slim person and am so upset about all this. My doctor said I've got to give it time but how much time? It's been a month now. How can thyroid medication make us put on weight when it's supposed to be helping our metabolism? My trousers aren't fitting anymore, my friends and husband are shocked but don't want me to come off the medication just like that. I've also noticed that when I have milk in the mornings with my cereal that makes the bloating worse. Does anyone know whats going on?

My Doctor has been attempting to address hypo-thryroid for almost a year..On Synthryroid 88 mg. now..TSH is even higher now than when we started treatment and my weight is increasing.What is going on. Has anyone experienced this also?

I was placed on Levothyroxine a month ago and have gained about 5 pounds already.

Should this be discontinued medicine or is there an alternative that will correct this?

I was already gaining weight from poor metabolism from my thyroid and now I am gaining more from this medication.

Help Someone!!!!!!!!

It's amazing that so many are suffering with the same symptoms. I have been taking thyroid medication for about 10 yrs or so. Before that I was very slim. Now I have a large abdomin and about 30lbs overweight. I also have tremendous amount of adominal discomfort with acid reflux. I am scheduled for an upper GI soon and maybe I'll get answers. I exercise daily and eat very healthy food. I also look pregnant at the age of 57. This has been affecting every area of my life. Feedback PLEASE.

I didn't realize that there are people out there experiencing the same thing I am. Increased weight gain due to underactive thyroid.
I too look as though I am pregnant. Always been active and never ever had a weight problem. Especially a gut that looks like a beer belly.
It gets extended to the point where I think it will explode. It is hard as a rock and very uncomfortable.
Would love for someone to shed a light on what the heck is going on.
Anyone out there get any answers? Have any advice?

I started Synthroid 3 months ago following Radioiodine treatment. I also immediately developed the distended belly and look 5 months pregnant after being at a normal weight my whole life (I'm 53). I wonder if it is the Synthroid causing this for everyone or a symptom of being hypo and having such a slow metabolism the food is not digested properly. I've read a lot indicating most doctors are under treating and don't have people at a high enough dosage of Synthroid to improve the hypo symptoms. Starting 2 wks ago, my dosage is being increased gradually to double what I've been on (by a new doctor) so I will find out in the next few weeks how it goes. I guess if my belly gets worse, I'll know it's caused by the Synthroid. If it gets better, then I'll know it is a symptom of being under treated. Will post again.

I was on this same pill and gained lots of weight was well. As far as my knowing, I didn't have a lifestyle change or different eating habits. I also suffered from all of the side effects including extream sensitivity to the sun.

I am 5'1", 59 years, and have been stable at 108 lb. for many years. Last August I was diagnosed hypothyroid and prescribed .05 mg Synthroid daily. I went back to Dr. after quickly gaining 8 lb and he said my readings were normal. I gained another 4 lb., and was tested again. Still normal. Dr. says everything is fine. Not worried because I'm not yet obese, but I'm very distressed. This is quite a large percentage weight gain in a short period of time. Also have the distended belly people here are describing. I'm not eating more than usual (actually less) and I'm exercising the same as before. I do feel better emotionally. I laugh and cry more. I was very depressed and unfeeling before I started taking Synthroid, and it has helped.

The medical community online are all saying that Synthroid cannot be related to weight gain when people are clearly reporting this side effect right and left. This is just idiocy. I don't want to just stop taking it without a substitute. Why isn't anybody listening?

Whoa these stories all sound familiar. I have had hypothyroidism for about 13yrs now. I've tried every thyroid replacement drug there is.
Synthroid made me feel like a cow. I was extremely "puffy" all of the time. I then started taking Armour Thyroid. Shortly after I started taking this everyone asked me if I'd lost weight (I hadn't) because the "puffiness" had disappeared.
Maybe some of you are experiencing "water retention" which definitely shows on the scales. I can gain 5-8 lbs in one day by eating anything with salt (ie:restraraunt food, prepared foods, etc.)
I still have problems with my weight while taking Armour but it has made my appearance seem more normal. I honestly think I feel better taking it than Synthroid too.
Just a suggestion...you may want to try it.

Thanks for the tip, ksf. I'm calling my doctor's office first thing in the morning to ask for a prescription for Armour. It's certainly worth a try. I do feel very bloated. My weight gain cannot be all water. It's too much for that, but maybe a few pounds of it could be.

I had to buy all new clothes this summer, because I am 2 sizes bigger. I have a whole closet full of jeans,skirts and capris that I can't get into. And with this belly, I cannot wear the close fitting styles I always wore, so I can't use any of my tees and tanks. I need those loose, maternity-looking tops. I will have to buy all new clothes for winter, too, unless I can drop this excess weight before it turns cold. I won't be able to wear my sweaters or jackets and slacks.