I am currently working 24 hours per week. I am post thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer within the past year and I was also doing medical transcription up until 1 month ago when I lost my client. I decided not to seek additional clients as I have too much stress. The divorce happened, two children, insomnia and migraines from my high level of Synthroid. I have nothing in place yet, no custody agreement, no visitation plan, no child support. Plus, there are some issues with my post thyroidectomy symptoms. Does anyone have a similar situation, it is very frustrating.

Hello, my issues are almost same as yours. I am a woman who do not pays or receive alimony. I supported two kids, 12 and 5 and received no support. However, I think that women are just as capable of taking care of themselves as men are. But my biggest issue is post thyroidectomy period, I took beta blockers for a-fib, but that is better now, no more beta blockers. I was prescribed on Synthroid too. I had blood test done at my request due to severe symptoms I‘ve been having: weight gain extremely cold, insomnia, debilating headaches to the point of vomiting, fatigue, night terrors, depression, basal body temp of 95-98. I don’t know what to do; I am still waiting for some results.

If you are experienceing issues while on Synthroid, ie: your hormones don't seem to be levelling out, you still feel cruddy, ask your dr to switch you to another brand of levothyroxine. I know that I personally cannot take synthroid, as something with the chemical binders prevents my body from correctly processing it. Most drugs have no difference between brands, but levothyrxine is different.

Also, it is my understanding that post thyroidectomy, most people should be taking some form of T3, such as cytomel, as well as levothyroxine.

Kerry
Dx hypothyroid 1998
Dx Papillary Carcinoma 2006

i had my thyroid removed in 2006. i went to the doctor for three years consistently with symptoms that they diagnosed as lyme disease, acid reflux, my mind, you name it. finally after years of illness and poor health and i am a very active woman they find my thyroid grew into the size of a neck brace almost and was riddled with tumors. they removed and i still have issues and now they say its fine im just adusting l... bullsh.. . i am angry, frustrated, because of how i feel physically, my minds wants to go but my body is always on another frequency... just wanted to vent.

I am a 37 year old mother of 4 children. I work at an insurance call center and sometimes have trouble continually talking. Not to mention it is difficult to call for the kids. I also help my husband run a fitness business and we do 12 bootcamps a week at different times of the day.

My energy levels, depression and exaustion got the best of me far before I even knew I had thyroid problems. I went through seperation from my husband for 6 months. One day I decided to go to this bootcamp my husband had been teaching other women for over a year. I have to admit I was exausted and it was difficult to keep up. However, I am very competitive and didn't want the other woman to be in better shape than me. The same? okay! but better, no way:) I continued with the bootcamp and eventually got my life back. I can even wear a two piece swim suit without scaring everyone:) I had more energy than ever started helping my husband instead of working against him.

I then found a lump in my throat and was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma Cancer about 6 months later. I couldn't understand as I had all the symptoms of hypothyroidism a year ago but they seemed to have gone away. I still have to undergo radiation iodine therapy but have continued the bootcamp workouts even if that means crawling to the car and griping about it all the way. I have trouble not doing as many pushups but even 5 is good and the other woman seem to encourage me. Don't give up, even if it means crawling to get where you need to and surround yourself with lots of positive peers. God bless all of you as I know this is hard for all of us. I seriously beleive trying to be active and continue to do as much as you can helps releive the symptoms:) Or at least covers them up:)

I wonder if this is the cause of my acid reflux?

It really is tough having a hormone imbalance.

And, re: the previous post, fake it until you make it!

i AM 59 YEAR OLD MALE. HAD TOTAL THYROIDECTOMY IN FEBRUARY OF 2009. I AM CURRENTLY ON 150 MCGS OF SYNTHROID. I AM HAVING TERRIBLE HEADACHES ....ALMOST CONSTANT. IS THERE A CONSENSUS OF OPINION THAT THERE IS A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THIS AND THYROID REMOVAL. OF COURSE THE ENDO SAYS THAT THERE IS NO CONNECTION YET I HAVE READ MANY ARTICLES SAYING THAT THERE IS A CONNECTION.

Hi! I saw your post, and boy, can I ever sympathize with you. Have you found any help for the headaches since June? I see that is when you posted your message. I have had horrible headaches since my thyroidectomy too - almost 2 years ago. Even had a migraine last month - the first in a few years. I have been fiddling with the Synthroid dosage, and found that 100 mcg helped with the headaches but then I was feeling too hypothyroid - too tired and depressed and so on. I went up to 125 mcg for a few days and the headaches were worse so I'm back to 112 mcg now. They aren't great, but a bit more manageable. I see my endo in a couple of days, and am prepared for him to yell at me a bit. I had thyroid cancer, so they are wanting me at a higher dosage of Synthroid to keep the TSH around 0.1, but I can't manage on the higher dosage with the headaches. Apparently being on Cytomel and Synthroid can help a bit with the headaches, so I am going to ask about that. Will keep you posted, OK?

Susan

I find that some pills are bound with too much lactose-stuff (it has a real name, just can't remember it) and they really give me headaches. I just have to change brands until I find one that has fillers that don't bother me. Hope this helps someone.

I had thyroid surgery when I was 19. I am 56 now and I never got my energy back. When my TSH is at the level where I feel better the doctor says he has to change it because it could cause me to go into Atrial Fib. I gain weight when I'm on 100 mcg and feel better on 112 mcg but my TSH is low meaning it is over treated. It has been a battle all these years and I don't think the doctors really know how to treat it. I don't think it's a cookie cutter type treatment. I think everyone is different and that's what makes it so hard to treat. I'm a nurse and see a lot of people with weight problems. My thyroid problem started after having my first child. Pragnancy is what causes a lot of women to have thyroid problems.

I've had headaches with my removal too, yes it is a symptom.

Doctors are so involved in their tests that they forget that nobody is the same. I don't fit within their testing guidelines on anything. They should be making adjustments by how you feel not by the blood tests as long as you aren't having serious side effects.

I had a thyroidectomy in 2010 I am 56 now and been having all kinds of medical issues. I pain in my legs all the time ,headaches ,numbness and tingling in hands ,cramps in feet and legs,brain fog memory loss and of course weight gain. When I tell my Endo he doesn't have a clue on the side effects of a thyroidectomy . On Levothyroixine 137 it has been changed several times. Only thing I can do is treat what is happening at that time . If headache treat that and so on. Oh how can I forget the constipation or IBS. These Endodos don't know whats going on so you have to educate them . Write everything thats happening to you, let them know when you go see them. We need a thyroidectomy support group due to a lot of woman are going through this .

I think I agree with you regarding the synthroid brand and the levothyroxine generic. It is hard to believe specially I am a pharm tech (Pharmacist in our country) but I had more problems taking the brand name Synthroid than when I was taking the levothyroxine generic.

keep urself busy to earn as much as possible.The prognosis of the disease is high as I have studied thoroughly about the disease & myself being a patient of the same disease.