My doctor gave me drug called Levothyroxine, which is a thyroid hormone. I know it is used to treat hypothyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. That was my problem, since I had symptoms such as slow speech, lack of energy, weight gain, hair loss, and dry, thick skin. Now I want to improve my health and I think Levothyroxine should help. Anyway, I want to hear if this medicine could be abused and how should I take it.

I know for cases some people wanted to use thyroid hormone to treat obesity, although they were with normal thyroid function. Levothyroxine is ineffective for weight reduction in normal thyroid patients and may cause serious or life-threatening toxicity. This toxicity of Levothyroxine is increased especially when taken with amphetamines. Levothyroxine comes as tablet to be taken by mouth, and is usually taken once a day. The best is to take this medicine on an empty stomach, or 1/2 to 1 hour before breakfast. Important is not to take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. There were cases when a tablet is got stuck in patients’ throat or cause choking or gagging. That is why the tablet should be taken with a full glass of water. Your doctor probably started you on a low dose of Levothyroxine and he will gradually increasing dose. Beside this, it is important for you to know that Levothyroxine controls hypothyroidism, but does not cure it.

WILL I LOSE ANY WEIGHT THAT I HAVE GAINED WHEN I START TAKING THE NEW MEDICATION. I HAVE GAINED APPROX. 15 LBS

I started taken Levothyroxin about two months ago, did not notice any improvement at all. I strted with Synthroid and lost 10 lb after taking it for about 2 months. But then the pharmicy decided to give me Levothyroxin instead and the result was that I put back the weight I lost and the count from my thyroids went back as though I never was on meds....so now I am going back to Synthroid...
Good Luck

I have thyroid since I was 2 months old. (now I'm 22) Never, EVER abused Levothyroxin pills. Like all diseases thyroid is a back stabbing disease. You can be eating the healthiest foods, and do everything to keep thyroid in normal, but it can still kill you in a blink of an eye.

I know this because I know many people who had it, and die, and whey where really trying their best, to keep it in normal level.

And if you abused it, you might do your body (thyroid) wrong.

Not all bodies are the same. But I thought you should know.

There are two types of synthetic hormones prescribed to treat hypothyroidism, which for the sake of keeping this short we will call T3 and T4. Levothyroxine, which by the by is just a generic name of Synthroid, provides T4, while other synthetic hormones provide T3. The jury is still out on whether combinations or one or the other is better for treatment in general, but for now, it seems that like most other conditions, everyone is different in terms of how they respond to these medications. Some people's specific case responds more to T3, some to T4, some need both or neither will be affected.
As for the weight issue: weight gain is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, as it affects your metabolism. It's not that the medicine will make you lose or gain weight. It's that (hopefully) the correct combination of treatment will make your metabolism function at the correct rate, meaning that you will have an easier time maintaining the weight that is healthy for you. Whether that's 15 lbs heavier or lighter or no change at all, that is completely unique to you. So, in that sense, the medicines do have some effect on your weight, but really it's best to think about it in terms of which combination of them will allow your body to function and metabolize the best.
You should always take the dose prescribed to you by your doctor. The reason for this is that, aside from the issue of toxicity, if you take too much hormone, you can become hyperthyroid, and that is no better. To reiterate, yes, if you are hypothyroid, it can make you retain weight more than if you were functioning normally, but thyroid hormones are not a weight loss aid! The point is notthat if you take this stuff you'll lose weight. The point is that you might, MIGHT be having a harder time with your weight because of this underlying problem that is much more important than a few lbs here or there. If you take the medication and it turns out to be the correct dose, you might not lose any weight at all. You might gain weight. That's just how it goes.

but I have grain 40lb in 5 months so I thunk that is not good at all.

I realy need to learn more about this medicine if u can help me it would mean alot.

When my hypothyroidism was diagnosed and I was put on levoxyl, I lost 40 pounds, BAM.   Not everybody is the same!!

wow that is awesome and a blessing. I am so worried, I have been taking levoxyl for about a month and have lost no wieght. im scared to death it sorta has me locked in to the wieght I am. feel free to email me. I would love to know how long it took for you to notice. so far im only on 50 mg. id appreaciate any kind of response. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use