I have a malar rash of lupus over the bridge of the nose. It is so called systemic lupus erythematosus. I`m currently on the treatment with plaquenil but I heard there is no cure for SLE. Is that true? Also, I was told that the cause of my lupus is unknown?! Is that possible? I feel like those doctors don`t know a thing.

Yeah, they know nothing. SLE is a chronic autoimmune disease in which the immune system attack your body`s cells and tissue. The results are inflammation and tissue damage. The standard treatment include a limited group of drugs. Plaquenil is the only FDA approved anti-malarial drug for treating SLE. The cause of lupus is still unknown and there is no cure. Some meds, such as corticosteroids and immunosuppressants can control the disease an dprevent flares. You should avoid the sun, also.